Dog running off??

darrren

12 hours ago, darrren said:

Cheers lads. He is good on the recall I think it was just scent as  you say because I noticed a fox run and after me doing a tartan through gorse and bramble he ended up coming out using that run I had spotted earlier. I'll just relax a bit more next time and make sure I'm not leaving walks too late before dark. So the dog came back to your smell on the jacket? My mate lost his dog Christmas eve when we were kids, out ferreting. He left his jacket as you did and he went back Christmas day to find her curled up sleeping on it. 

Yes strong scent in jacket as worn daily and smells of the other dogs as well, plus i never wash it lol terriers aren't daft always found they follow there path back when generally the same route they took in the line out atb 

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Probably smelt a fox or something. It's a terrier not a spaniel, shout louder and threaten the little bugger with everything you can think of ?

Have you been reading my latest edition training manual??? ????

With all these collars on, GPS, bellman and an e collar he'll be slowed down fairish for sure! Haha It is a bit nerve wracking hunting dogs for the first time. You get used to it. 10 mins is f**k

Most if you stay in same spot and wait will return in less than half an hour unless gone to ground. Other more stubborn ones gone for longer will usually return home themselves or to vehicle on their own terms. I've seen plenty of times people searching frustrated for hours for dogs that were back curled up at van. Small terriers are a nuisance for bushing because you don't know if they have dropped to ground unless they've a locator on. Get to know where all the earths are in the area and use a locator, or if you don't then keep a lead on patterdale and hunt a bigger dog that can't fit in an earth. 

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

The little i know over the past 30+ years is to STOP trying to make some other fecking dog breed with a working terrier and just accept it for what it is... Because if you dont your fecking up everything thats been put into that type for a hundred years or more..

STOP putting the dog in a situation in which it will only behave like the working terrier it is and which you dont fecking want....!

Buy a fecking Spaniel an train the arse out of that...!

Ask yourself what the end goal is? Bushing dog? Digging dog? If it's the later I'd keep it away from rabbits, if you want to hunt  rabbits I'd get a few spaniels or a beddy/whippet x. Pain In The arse searching for a terrier that's dropped to ground.... Will end in tears one day imo. Pays to know if there's any holes about where your letting then run free, and recognising the signs, change in behaviour of dog and what animal lives in the hole?one day your terriers will drop in...... Mark my words it's in their nature.... Gps if your bushing with them or bellman and flint or both to cover your arse. f**k the cost..... Cheaper and alot less heart ache than replacing stock?you were unlucky losing one dog.... Don't make the same mistake again mate. ? 

• Like 2