Dog running off??

darrren

Hiya guys. So I've got a Patterdale and a lakey. Still new to dogs so looking for advice. About two weeks ago my Patterdale ran off by a fence pacing up and down and I noticed he had seen a rabbit. He got under the fence and was away in brambles and I had to eventually tie the lakey to a tree and wade in after the Patterdale as he was long gone. So since that he has gone from not bushing or showing interest, to straight into bushes working them and no matter how thick the cover. Happy days. So this afternoon me and missus walked the dogs, put them in a woodblock and off they went working away, through cover on the runs of scent etc. We'll as the light was dimming I thought get em on the leads, I passed the lakey over the fence to my missus, then the pat came over and off he went nose to the ground. I started calling and nothing, not even hear him. Long story short he was off on his way, long gone, and I spent ten minutes chasing him through cover, up and down hills of gorse trying to get to him before the light slipped away. I eventually got him, some how. I want to nip this in the bud any ideas? My missus is saying electric collar, I'm debating a tracker for his collar incase. He's a lovely dog but it's like since he saw that rabbit the last two of three walks he done a runner. 

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Probably smelt a fox or something. It's a terrier not a spaniel, shout louder and threaten the little bugger with everything you can think of ?

Have you been reading my latest edition training manual??? ????

With all these collars on, GPS, bellman and an e collar he'll be slowed down fairish for sure! Haha It is a bit nerve wracking hunting dogs for the first time. You get used to it. 10 mins is f**k

I wouldn't say electric collar mate to be honest. Maybe its because it's all new to him and he's a little over excited about his new found love, he may settle down abit once he's been out on a few more trips. Just get him out as much as you can and put a load of game infront of him and see if he settles down. If not then try a different action. Atb Adam 

• Like 2

I would forget the electric collar in this instance. Terriers just soak up pain when they are in the zone. Be a shame to dampen its ardour for doing what its bred too do. Just work with it and be on the ball and maybe get some basic training done as well 

• Like 2

As I say I'm new to dogs really so, just my main worry is loosing him or him not coming back, where the lakey will come back when. Called. The Patterdale comes back in fairness but the moment he gets in the mode he's off. Its all new to him too as I say it's like a switch flipped and he's in the cover now non stop. Maybe I'll go to where there is smaller patches of cover and I can keep an eye out easily as opposed to thick woods where you can't see feck all. I'd have to run after him, stop a second and listen for the rustling and run a bit more, but when I got sight of him eventually he was nose down and really going for it. Maybe it'd normal, just after loosing my terrier pup a few months back to being run over, I'm airing on the side of caution now. 

5 minutes ago, darrren said:

Terry what do you recommend in terms of basic training. Going to just calm it down. A bit the next few putting. 

Just some basic recall I guess no distractions to start and all that and maybe a long line to get it into a habit . You will never call it off a scent but if its not after some thing that the time to get the bugger back lol

The dogs are out every day, and they don't want for nothing. I got given two old school collars for by arry on here which works with my knocker box so I'll start putting them on them from now. Bet its a nightmare finding your dog if it's gone to ground by itself, especially if your not aware there's an earth there? Always new ones popping up, you think you know where all of them are then suddenly a few more are suddenly dug. I'll keep working with him, just don't want every time out to turn into an embassy siege getting him back lol. 

• Like 1