Teaching a lurcher recall whilst lamping

Hi all

As I have recently acquired a very nice 14 month old lurcher, he came from good stock both parents good strong workers, however I'm just uncertain on his recall if and when I let him slip on the lamp, he's been with us just under 3 weeks now being taken on long walks over some good ground, he instantly kicks in ears pricked and eyes scanning anything and everything, how long will take for him to become obedient to us, we've had him on enclosed rugby field he never took off he just stayed within a couple metres of us head down trying to pick up a scent, obviously the test will be when he see his prey on the end of the lamp and he may not be successful on the catch, I don't want to risk him just running off. 

I had a bull x got him at 18months recall in day fine recall on lamp not even close to fine! He was a massve pain if he didn' catch he would hunt up by himself and if he did catch he would go to the other side of the field and stay away from me. Never got him right but he came with zero training. If I was you I'd miss the rest of the season get a good strong bond with the dog and train train train and when you think he's spot on train some more. Try and get to some lure coursing shows in the summer so he has something to chase and some competition whilst doing so. See if he comes back after a run and keep that up through the summer also train through the summer then first night lamping try small enclosed fields so he can't go far. Some one else may have more of a clue then me but that's what is go for. Atb with it 

• Like 3

Cheers our lad has 3/8th bull running through him also, this is what I'm scared of don't want him to hunt up and run off on his own, he goes a at least a five-ten mile walk every night wth other non working dogs, was thinking of investing in a spring loaded rabbit try him a few times on a closed field, like unsaid he has been on his lead and that don't wonder too far but I'm just real wary about letting him slip and he just goes hunt up. Is there any specific techniques in training him or is it just persistent bonding with him ? All/any advice hugely appreciated 

6 minutes ago, W. Katchum said:

Stick to ground you don’t wanna ruin, only lamp on very dark nights an preferable with a breeze, just you an dog, try an get dog doing recall to the click of fingers as that’s a lot less noticeable than a shout when out on your land, give the dog a bit more time to settle in and be ruthless when mutt don’t come back, don’t start turning lamp on to find it an deffo don’t put lamp on say a diff bunny in same field whilst dogs hunting up an if it comes to it, just turn round walking away in the dark whilst clicking ye finger, sorrr if ye know all that as it is pretty common sense but stick with it an I’ll bet it comes good?

He seems to respond to a sharp whistle a little more than any shout, previous owner told us he's called jake, I guess he's never have shouted it like as he doesn't respond one bit to the word ? 

I found when training a young dog/in experience dog it's best to accept that your not going get many bunnys , all young dogs do the whole lap of honour when they catch or hunt up a little some hunt up a lot as there excited , I find that if you go on fields that other people are lampin and poaching the you don't have worry about ruining good ground just turn up slip him on a bunny if he hunts up just nick lamp off and call him back keep calling till he comes back , put him on lamp and slip him again and the nock lamp off call him again till he comes back , to be honest you so t have to do this on ground that has many bunnys on , just get him used to that when the lamp gets nocked off then he has to come back to you , some dogs take longer than others and some dogs just don't stop , I've seen couple adult dogs that hunted up after been slipped , 

Navek thanks a lot mate going to take up on that advice, I have a decent football pitch hedged off one side wooden panels other side, be ideal as there is bunnies by the dozen, many squatters, don't think the field gets lamped at all to be honest, will keep repeating your process knocking of the lamp and calling him back. Cheers bud appreciate your feedback ?

• Like 1

my bull whippet was terrible on the lamp. done my head in! put an e-collar on her. trained her with it at minimum in a long line. took her lamping n gave her a whistle waited a second, turned shock up couple of notches n gave her quick buzz. now i give a whistle n shes back beside me as quick as she can. 

Don't flick the lamp on to look for him when he's f****d off arseing about just stay still and sometimes if you flick the lamp on your feet brings them in and when he does come in get him back on slip and find him another so he gets to know thats if he aint ran everything in a 50 mile radius in, no expert but works for me like