Rabbit breeding for the table.

Thinking of breeding rabbits for the table. 

Spoke to one man already who does it. And he was telling me it's a great supply of meat all year round. 

Does anyone on here do this or had done this on the past.

Atb j

• Like 1

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Kept Newzealand  whites for pets as a younging but they kept escaping was ok thou my dad would let me use my pocket money to by more .It was years later that my mam told me about my dad taken the rabb

Them giant rabbits aren't very cost efficient apparently, the meat to bone ratio isn't very good and they grow slowly for the amount they eat.  Nz x Californian are meant to be the best and my ma

Spoken to a few people , I think price of feed going up and work involved makes lot of people give up.also think of space you need about 3 hutches 4ft long by about 2 ft . Then storing feed/bales of h

Posted Images

Spoken to a few people , I think price of feed going up and work involved makes lot of people give up.also think of space you need about 3 hutches 4ft long by about 2 ft . Then storing feed/bales of hay and shavings.

if you can source new Zealand or Californian breed rabbits they are supposed to be the best lot of the giant breeds have a greater bone to flesh ratio and are slower to grow /require more feed.

couple people I spoke to online just used decent sized pet rabbits and would eat the ones they could not sell .

• Like 2

Kept Newzealand  whites for pets as a younging but they kept escaping was ok thou my dad would let me use my pocket money to by more .It was years later that my mam told me about my dad taken the rabbits to the butchers for beer money.:)

• Like 3
  • Haha 7
1 hour ago, forest of dean redneck said:

Spoken to a few people , I think price of feed going up and work involved makes lot of people give up.also think of space you need about 3 hutches 4ft long by about 2 ft . Then storing feed/bales of hay and shavings.

if you can source new Zealand or Californian breed rabbits they are supposed to be the best lot of the giant breeds have a greater bone to flesh ratio and are slower to grow /require more feed.

couple people I spoke to online just used decent sized pet rabbits and would eat the ones they could not sell .

The room or the feeding wouldn't be an issue for me. Got plenty of room and hay here. 

Wonder could you to free graze them as we have over an acer of a lawn around the house.

Also what grain or meal were they been fed if anyone knows.

Atb j

40 minutes ago, jetro said:

The room or the feeding wouldn't be an issue for me. Got plenty of room and hay here. 

Wonder could you to free graze them as we have over an acer of a lawn around the house.

Also what grain or meal were they been fed if anyone knows.

Atb j

Just rabbit food ,I think you can even get a type for rabbit growers ?

You could keep them in arks with mesh bottoms an move them every day or 2, save cutting the grass.?

• Like 2
7 minutes ago, jetro said:

Going to take a bit of planning this. But would be worth a go. 

The only draw back would sourcing the rabbit feed.

Atb j 

Any independent horsey smallholder type places near you, 

i used to buy sack of Allen & page rabbit pellet under tenner a sack, think it was couple year ago,I only got a old ex stud mini lol rabbit now as a pet so just buy small sack of rabbit food suitable for small rabbits. 

if you buy the museli type food they tend to pick & choose what to eat an you get lot of wastage. 

I used to breed them about 12 years ago had new Zealands and Californians and some hybrids from a guy up the road, was good fun I sold loads as giant house bunnies ( was the trend at the time ) I could get £4 from butcher or £30 as house rabbits, the bloke still breeds them and would sell you a trio am sure 

he sells them to a dealer that I think sends them to France , 

i had a bank of 8 hutches 2ft deep 4ft wide if I was going to do it again I'd use wire bottoms