infrared heat lamps for dogs

Was just wondering whether any of you good folk had any experience of using an IR lamp in the kennels? My spaniel damaged her leg badly a year ago, and I've noticed that as the temperature drops, she is becoming a little stiffer. So... I was going to rig a heat lamp up in the kennel.

Any advice appreciated.

IF IT KEEPS THE COLD OUT OF THE BITCHES BONES AND MAKES A DIFFERENCE THEN GO FOR IT MATE!!,AT THE END OF THE DAY IF THEY SERVE US WELL WHY SHOULDNT WE MAKE A DIFFERENCE TO THEM,IF A DOG HAS HAD A BANG I SWEAR BY HEATLAMPS,I ALSO KNOW OF A FEW PEOPLE THAT GIVE THEIR DOGS A COUPLE OF HOURS AFTER A HARD DAY JUST TO DRY OFF AND SETTLE THE DOGS MAKES SENSE REALLY,GIVE IT A TRY GOOD LUCK,MIGHT PUT A COUPLE OF EXTRA SEASONS ON HER!!! :good:

• 2 years later...
were do you get these heat lamps from? all the best :thumbs:

the cheapest places are poultry places they are half the price than most dog places just the same lamp imo you have a choice of bulbs i always go for the porceilene element type they dont let of any light ang stronger if they get caught also if the glass ones are near a window or door that has been left open and rain starts hitting it they shatter which could cause all kinds of complicatins with that fine glass on a kennel floor. i also think you get a couple more seasons out of the dogs if kept warm and out of draft.

http://www.doghealth.co.uk/heatlamp.htm?gc...CFRwMEAodlTQjZA

heres a link for a idea of what you are looking for, any place that sells lamps, bulbs etc would be able to order you one, or the local vets

were do you get these heat lamps from? all the best :thumbs:

the cheapest places are poultry places they are half the price than most dog places just the same lamp imo you have a choice of bulbs i always go for the porceilene element type they dont let of any light ang stronger if they get caught also if the glass ones are near a window or door that has been left open and rain starts hitting it they shatter which could cause all kinds of complicatins with that fine glass on a kennel floor. i also think you get a couple more seasons out of the dogs if kept warm and out of draft.

thanks lads. all the best :thumbs:

Got a lamp for me bitch she's just had 5 pups, from a poultry shop, ( www.chicken-house.co.uk ) so I thought worth getting a rotary dimmer switch plugs into a socket them plug in your heat lamp this allows a bit of heat control and I just put a thermometer low down on the wall just to see I ain't toastering them, no good making it so hot the injured dog or bitch and pups have to move from the heat source so worth knowing the temp. hope this is helpfull

twins :victory:

Guest little lurcher

if its any help i has also used convection heaters, some are very cheap to run , and can ge safely screwed to wall with leads fixed tight so no chewers can get hurt too, cheaper to run then some lamps , i use mine with timer

got one of those long oil heaters in my kennel, pluss side of it cheap to run and doesnt throw any light, quite safe,

downside, you dont get the instant heat and you cant direct it. You could rig it up to a thermostat, but i just use my judjement and flick the switch on

(in the house) in advance. ;)

When i go down to them first thing in the morning and open the main door ( two sets of flaps on other door) there they are in the middle of winter,

sat there in the deck chairs.... with bermuda shorts on.. pina colarda in paw.... nice and toasty...

keep em fit, comfy and keep the weight on em when its cold.. :thumbs:

you've got look after em hav'nt you.. :yes::bye:

:drink::drink::drink:

Guest bitsa lurcher

i use the red bulbs and have them on plug in segment timers , at the moment they are timed so they come on at 9 pm and go off at 8 am , that way over half the time that they are on is on the economy 7 hours :clapper:

Guest alastair

i also use a red lamp,and find it good for the winter,a dog can withstand cold but after its had a hard night and is soaked with cold rain,then kenneled if the temp drops you could end up with a dead dog,a dry warm dog is the way forward imo