Off Boar hunting

2 minutes ago, Wales1234 said:

Wasn’t to bad mate just knocked me over come flying out of some bramble ! I bet there was boar there that day but obviously none of our dogs new what boar were I spent my time hunting a foxes with the beagle x haha 

Last time I was over, I was shooting and a fecking fox came flying into view, perfect shot however..... because the iron sights I was using looked twisted I was cantering the rifle, to match them up and missed the fecker. First shot wizzed past it's head, that was enough for it to fuuck off sharpish ?

Edited to add;

There was nothing wrong with the sights, Alectoris had just had them sighted in ????

Edited by mushroom

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Off Boar hunting with Alectoris in Aragon...... Not shooting this time, walking with the dog pack instead. Pics to follow

here he is

Posted Images

2 hours ago, riohog said:

this one above was done in spain wasnt killed with the blade  a rifle   it was just a blade i made for the hunter 

Proper ugly fuuckers aren't they? ???

Nice little skinning knife that... wouldn't want to stick a pig with it though, I'd want something a lot longer and wider ?

21 hours ago, ALECTORIS said:

The main blood is still podenco.

There's a heavy type called "Valduezas" specially improved for boar and deer.

They usually try to get as close as that morphology as possible; that is try to keep the nose, cleverness and stamina of true hunting podencos and the power of a boxer or a local mastiff, much less dominant and aggressive than dogos and, being more muscled, less that these last ones.

Are these the dogs you mentioned Alectoris. looks like theire a sturdy breed. https://www.caninacostadelsol.es/razas/grupos-étnicos-caninos/perro-montero-valdueza/

• Like 2
14 minutes ago, hollands hope said:

Are these the dogs you mentioned Alectoris. looks like theire a sturdy breed. https://www.caninacostadelsol.es/razas/grupos-étnicos-caninos/perro-montero-valdueza/

That's them mate.

If you look at the photos I posted, the fourth one down. The dog in the middle is one of them ;)

• Like 1
On 29/01/2018 at 02:18, Meece said:

great pictures of the dogs and terrain.  I bet that when they come through that brush, it is difficult to identify and target in a very quick time span.  real good shooting.  Question?  whats the nearest white dog on the left doing? Is he offloading or uploading? The others have all averted their gaze. I dunno you got to have eyes in the back of your head.

Shagging mate ???

1 hour ago, hollands hope said:

Like Mushroom said, that's the type.

Not only they are reasonably powerful (they are supposed to flush and also stop boars but not on a solo mode) but also quite hard against wounds and deseases.

I personally prefer their way of hunting rather than the dogos and alanos ways although a nice hold on a big boar by one of them is always thrilling.

Nice link you've found by the way!

• Like 2
13 minutes ago, hollands hope said:

The dogs most have excellent feet by the looks of it , looks a very hard  ground to run a dog on ,

It is mate ;) Any dog with delicate feet, you can forget it! I've had Cabron charging over mountains and ground you wouldn't believe. His feet are unbelievably sound.....

but he's never happier than when he's running on sand and fuucking every sunbather up within a 500m radius ?

As Alectoris said, I also fell in love with that type of dog! Methodical and bloody strong as an ox, with a sound personality to boot ;)

• Like 2
3 hours ago, ALECTORIS said:

Like Mushroom said, that's the type.

Not only they are reasonably powerful (they are supposed to flush and also stop boars but not on a solo mode) but also quite hard against wounds and deseases.

I personally prefer their way of hunting rather than the dogos and alanos ways although a nice hold on a big boar by one of them is always thrilling.

Nice link you've found by the way!

any  chance of it in english , be nice to read all the info  on the breed .:thumbs:

8 hours ago, bird said:

any  chance of it in english , be nice to read all the info  on the breed .:thumbs:

I will try and find about it in English.

Basically the story of this breed comes from 70 years ago when the marquis of Valdueza wanted to come up with the perfect pack hunting dog for Central Spain's hunting grounds.

In a few words: podenco campanero (white traditional big sized ones), local light mastiff and a nivernais griffon male called Fransuá's blood (and a true passion for hunting boar with dogs) were part of the secret.

Edited by ALECTORIS