My dad did that to his two hutches started off  with inch by half inch mesh then two inches under  that he put another frame of quarter inch mesh   but he lived on a small holding and the hens scratched  under the ferret hutches , He actually made them out of inch floor boards and when he died i moved them down here and after replacing the rotting wire twice i gave up and put a plywood floor in them  they lasted nearly another 20 years here before i build a big 8x4 hutch out of plywood and i cant see that lasting as long as my dads two hutches 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Aye i would never have thought that ferret crap and piss would rot galvanized wire but it does  easy enough to wash with a power washer  , but with the dogs loose all day ive a feeling they would eat the crap or roll in it , hence i like a treated plywood floor  and easy enough to clean out with a hoe and lift it with a shovel even then the dogs are ready to pounce on any bones that drop to the deck or mine like feathers and runs off in the garden to strip the quill  from any she can get threw the run wire 

• Like 1