Bedlington X Whippet bitch pup wanted.

1 hour ago, jam1e said:

Thanks for the advice folks. I think i over stated the size. I'd be happy with the 'right bitch' to be anywhere from 18" to "24".  I've been advised to go for a 'David Hancock' dog due to reputation. I've no doubt his dogs are first class. But at £500 to £600 they should be first class....  Should i be speaking to David Hancock, or are there other breeders, with a less known name, but breed just as good bitches/dogs?? Advice appreciated..

Cheers

Jamie

I would work out if you want a Collie X or a Bedlington X. DH dogs are collie crosses.  

Both look similar but behave very differently.   Basically I would only get a first x Bedlington if you want a terrier in it.  if you don't want a terrier in it get a collie cross. Collie x's think with their sheep dog brains where as Bedlington x's think with their terrier hearts. 

Lots of dogs that are from dogs sanctuaries that are labelled as Bedlington's only have a whiff in them. Many are great dogs but they don't have that 

1 hour ago, Black neck said:

To be honest mate you don't come across as a worker of dogs not saying you ain't it just don't look that way by your post you won't get put on to any litters why do you want a first x bed whip

You're spot on 'Black Neck'. I'm a middle aged bloke with a family who has had lots of rescue dogs in the past. I've even had a Beagle X Whippet. Wow what an amazing dog! But the main story is as follows, we attended a charity event for 'Rescue dogs'.  The site being Evesham Greyhound and Lurcher Rescue, (http://www.lurcher.org.uk/). I've had numerous dogs from her (Pip) over the years. But the 2 who made the most impression on me, were the Beagle x Whippet, and the Beddy x Whippet. But the Beddy was just so fearless! And loved getting stuck into anything when out in the fields with me. I really miss that. She wasn't afraid to do anything! I also have to say, i found her to be the most beautiful looking of dogs. So, Black Neck you're right. I'm not a 'worker of dogs', but i'd like to learn. And also get a loyal loving dog (bitch) at the same time. Now neither of the 2 dogs i've mentioned would take more to me than my wife, or the other way around. Yet we've had 2 dogs since the 2 i've mentioned, and neither wanted/want much to do with me as most dog abusers are male. Albeit, i love the remaining one to bits! And we had her as a pup from 'Dog Trust' 2 years ago as a pup. The other one had to be put to sleep some months ago due to cancer that insurance woundn't cure. The one dog we have at the moment is a bitch. Shes a Spaniel X with something? Maybe Terrier? But shes amazing at clearing out our garden of vermin, like rats, mice, and unfortunately frogs and fledgling birds....            However, myself and the wife have always yearned for another Beddy X Whippet. She would mainly be an indoor pet. But i'd like to have a go at training her. It's been a very long time, but my dad, (When alive) used to take me out rabbiting with a whippet type dog, which i really enjoyed. Especially for rabbit stew! So now, i'd like to have a go at training. Although granted, it's no easy process...  Even if it's a case of just getting the bitch used to the bang of my shotgun/rifles would be great, as i have loads of open land on various permissions she could race around on when having a 'burn-out'. But i would also hopefully like to train her to take on rabbits for me, or even just be company for me when i'm out shooting....                                                                                                       That pretty much tells you folks everything. I could get a rescue dog, but my wife and i really want another beddy x Whippet like before. 

Cheers

Jamie

Edited by jam1e
  • Like 2
46 minutes ago, jam1e said:

You're spot on 'Black Neck'. I'm a middle aged bloke with a family who has had lots of rescue dogs in the past. I've even had a Beagle X Whippet. Wow what an amazing dog! But the main story is as follows, we attended a charity event for 'Rescue dogs'.  The site being Evesham Greyhound and Lurcher Rescue, (http://www.lurcher.org.uk/). I've had numerous dogs from her (Pip) over the years. But the 2 who made the most impression on me, were the Beagle x Whippet, and the Beddy x Whippet. But the Beddy was just so fearless! And loved getting stuck into anything when out in the fields with me. I really miss that. She wasn't afraid to do anything! I also have to say, i found her to be the most beautiful looking of dogs. So, Black Neck you're right. I'm not a 'worker of dogs', but i'd like to learn. And also get a loyal loving dog (bitch) at the same time. Now neither of the 2 dogs i've mentioned would take more to me than my wife, or the other way around. Yet we've had 2 dogs since the 2 i've mentioned, and neither wanted/want much to do with me as most dog abusers are male. Albeit, i love the remaining one to bits! And we had her as a pup from 'Dog Trust' 2 years ago as a pup. The other one had to be put to sleep some months ago due to cancer that insurance woundn't cure. The one dog we have at the moment is a bitch. Shes a Spaniel X with something? Maybe Terrier? But shes amazing at clearing out our garden of vermin, like rats, mice, and unfortunately frogs and fledgling birds....            However, myself and the wife have always yearned for another Beddy X Whippet. She would mainly be an indoor pet. But i'd like to have a go at training her. It's been a very long time, but my dad, (When alive) used to take me out rabbiting with a whippet type dog, which i really enjoyed. Especially for rabbit stew! So now, i'd like to have a go at training. Although granted, it's no easy process...  Even if it's a case of just getting the bitch used to the bang of my shotgun/rifles would be great, as i have loads of open land on various permissions she could race around on when having a 'burn-out'. But i would also hopefully like to train her to take on rabbits for me, or even just be company for me when i'm out shooting....                                                                                                       That pretty much tells you folks everything. I could get a rescue dog, but my wife and i really want another beddy x Whippet like before. 

Cheers

Jamie

To be fair you sound like EXACTLY the kind of person who should get a running dog, and I hope you find the right bitch.

Take your time, there are a lot of idiots out there.

I've a grey x beddy with a dash of collie and wippet he won't grow much more then 24 tts and his sister is smaller. So maybe you'll have to broaden your search to something with a bit more in but still won't get to a big size. That's my boy 7 months. 

20180114_082307.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks for the info folks, and i'd appreciate it if you folks could drop me a pm if you see any suitable pups, in case i've missed the advert.

And Saltmoon your boys a beauty! I love the brindle type markings.

Cheers

Jamie