Does anyone use hand lines

29 minutes ago, W. Katchum said:

We went to flamingo land for a few days an took dogs an kids to beach an when we pulled up we was only family that didn’t have to go to shop for crabbing lines my missus had hobo lines in her handbag after catching trout in Pickering beck that morning an my kids caught a loads crabs an a wee tiny flat fish ?they love em an they get took most places an I’m sure there’s a couple stored in compartment in boot of car ?

Somewhere I got couple of those BCB survival fishing kits ,only paid couple quid for them.they are quite good not like usual gimmicks.

Have a few different kinds mainly cuban yoyos:victory:, Murray reel from the USA cost an arm and a leg and a hobo reel not a massive fan, to small for my liking. Looking for a wooden rectangular kite one if anyone knows where you can get them, have them in USA but to expensive to import.:sorry:

Catching bream and mullet in Turkey on one.... Lads working in the hotel showed me the craic, walking out the dinner hall with crusty loafs under my arms lol, jobsworth waiter tried stopping me..... Told him I just payed 3 grand all inclusive, if I want to feed the fish I will?chopsy cnut.... 

• Haha 5

Handlining in Eire is legal in saltwater, illegal in freshwater. My father used to handline for Conger and when I was young he caught a 20 pound Conger in Wicklow harbour on a handline. It was near 5 foot long and my Granny cooked it.

The tackle was a builders line and a six foot wire trace with 4 or 5 swivels on it and the hook was a shark hook. Can't remember the bait though.

• Like 7
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Just returned from holiday in Nerja in southern Spain took two cuban yoyo reels with me, one with 20lb line and other 8lb line. First two days try spinning and bait fishing off the rocks into about 15 foot of water absolutely gin clear but no luck but seen mullet cruising around. Whilst fishing one local came down with a rod and French stick loaf and 4 wine corks for a float. The size of French stick the put on was massive a 10lb cod would have had trouble swallowing it. However he keeled ground baiting with smaller bits and the water boiled with fish.

Had to wait a further two days dew to weather, this time went back with 8lb setup, small clear bubble float and size 6 hooks plus bread, I tried always but the fish just stripped hook bare must have had 10-15 takes, tried smaller hooks made no difference. In end changed to a size 2 and second cast into a bream about 3/4lb and then a second one about pound mark, I was the only one to land fish.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...