dog used for beating issue!

having an issue with my dog running off while out beating, he runs off into the gun line following a bird and then not coming back what would people on here do to stop this plan is to long  line him but he only does it when he sees a  bird and hears shots so its hard to long line him as he wont do it while training and long lining while working is impractical 

Sorry James to be blunt, but the dog was taken out shooting before it was adequately trained/obedient.  Depending on how old the dog is and how long the dog has been allowed to get away with disobedience, very much depends what you can achieve.  If the dog is fairly young, get back to basic obedience lessons and make sure the dog obeys every command.  Do not take the dog shooting or into any situation whereby you feel the dog will be disobedience through being distracted by other influences.  Once basic obedience is instilled then try and find a sundog trainer with access to a rabbit pen.  Dog training is a progression through the early years of a dogs life and very rarely do short cuts succeed.

• Like 1

Simply, the dog is not trained to a standard where it should be in the field. The longer you continue to let this happen the worse the poor dog will get.

You do not say what type of dog it is but any dog used should not be that far away from you to need a long line, either in the field or the training pen. In fact I would be surprised if any keeper would allow you to run a long line & train a dog on a shoot day.

Go back to the beginning , basics, basics & more basics. Do not rush a dog into the field & let it learn / make mistakes in an environment where it can be corrected immediately (live training days / dogging in with keepers permission etc.) A dog getting excited is not an issue but spoiling both a shoot day & the dog is.

Don't lose heart we all have bad days. As Dave P states a dog sat on its arse won't get much wrong.

Good Luck.

• Like 1

My spaniel is steady round rabbits , l can walk round the field early doors with them hopping into the hedge in front of her , I can stop her on the whistle all the time , I can get her doing all the retrieving tricks , stop, get back , blind , the lot, but... when out of sight and bushing at a pace if she flushes birds she will sometimes chase with an exited yip, how do you stop that!