Live rabbits for rabbit pen (Gundog training)

Struggling to get hold of rabbits to stock a rabbit pen. Its a long shot but if anyone can get some for me via ferreting it would be much appreciated :) 

Obviously we will pay for the rabbits and your time and also collect.

If anyone can help please pm me

Regards HL

5 hours ago, Hunting Lad said:

Struggling to get hold of rabbits to stock a rabbit pen. Its a long shot but if anyone can get some for me via ferreting it would be much appreciated :) 

Obviously we will pay for the rabbits and your time and also collect.

If anyone can help please pm me

Regards HL

Giving a rough location would help you. 

1 hour ago, W. Katchum said:

That’s baiting but using rabbits for gun dogs is not, tbey are released in a large pen an the dogs are not allowed to touch em it’s for making dogs familiar with them an stop them hunting them, I think ? using them as droppers is not only illegal it’s a cnuts trick IMO an ifye dog can’t catch one without it being dropped then it’s not ready, an as for greyhounds them that’s just an old wife’s tale that arse holes do, as I knew lots a greyhound trainers as a lad an none used live anything to gee up there mutts haha they bred for thousands a years to run anything that moves they don’t need geed up ?

Never get the had a few droppers

if dog can't hunt up or catch a rabbit,it's going to get frustrated when it can't later on.

• Like 2

Its not illegal to pen rabbits, it done all over the country by sundog trainers and trialling folk. As long as measure are taking to prevent them from escaping it is legal. Rabbits aren't harmed as they are just to train and steady spaniels.

I didn't put a location as we will happily collect from anywhere. They are required near Kent..

Regards HL

Is it legal to transport a wild animal without a licence in the U.K. ?  Then again who is to say you didn't buy them in a pet shop. I've seen training videos with rabbit pens that used half mad coloured pet rabbits. Drop a buck and a doe in and you will soon have plenty.

A little article from the shooting times on rabbit pens http://www.shootinguk.co.uk/features/building-and-maintaining-a-rabbit-pen-6424 they are openly used in the gundog world and are not illegal.

24 minutes ago, jiggy said:

Is it legal to transport a wild animal without a licence in the U.K. ?  Then again who is to say you didn't buy them in a pet shop. I've seen training videos with rabbit pens that used half mad coloured pet rabbits. Drop a buck and a doe in and you will soon have plenty.

Not sure about transporting them but they have to come from somewhere... I think as long as measures are taking to prevent them from escaping its ok. Its only illegal if you plan to release back into the wild. I could be wrong though... either way who cares over a few rabbits.

Regards HL

Edited by Hunting Lad
  • Like 1
7 minutes ago, Hunting Lad said:

A little article from the shooting times on rabbit pens http://www.shootinguk.co.uk/features/building-and-maintaining-a-rabbit-pen-6424 they are openly used in the gundog world and are not illegal.

Not sure about transporting them but they have to come from somewhere... I think as long as measures are taking to prevent them from escaping its ok. Its only illegalif you plan to release backing the wild. I could be wrong though... either way who cares over a few rabbits.

Regards HL

Very true it probably is ok to move rabbits but if you move them discreetly anyway then the busy bodies won't stick their noses in. The fully wild ones don't do that well in captivity so the untamed pet ones or half wild could be worth a try. They are certainly easier keep and do better in pens.

• Like 1