A bit of rough up north

Our annual trip up the west coast was a productive affair this year.  We were informed that woodcock were in short supply this year and we should show restraint.........well they weren't where we were and we didn't :D..............The usual spots held good numbers of birds and with the dogs working hard we managed to squirt a few down and put a bag together.   By the end of the first day the dogs were knackered.  its really hard going for them working in the bracken and briars.  The second morning we were up at 6am to flight duck on the foreshore, there is normally plenty of teal around at this spot and we did see a good few but my mate plugged a good few mallard and I nailed a solitary pinkfoot........the first I have seen on this island:victory:  The final couple of nights saw us flighting woodcock out of a big forestry block.....great sport.  we finished the 3 days with 17 woodcock, mallard, pinkfoot.teal, hare,bunny and pheasant.....p3.JPG.4d69c69b1ad74b00c2518f0309e0df6b.JPGp1.JPG.190b58fe042e87ec0767044bc9b91ce2.JPGp2.JPG.9a4375d3518e86ace0656f5e18acd459.JPGp4.thumb.jpg.e871a540d1a82f8f3124eb562ec383b5.jpg

• Like 11

Well done Bell, a mixed bag is brilliant. Had a bad enough days rough shooting yesterday and we were just discussing how we've seen more Woodcock then Snipe, never happened before, Pigeon are scarce and the Teal and Wigeon are only arriving with us now. Our Pheasants disappearing on us has made for a bad enough season. It was a funny sort of season for us.

Great post!

Funny, BASC and the GWCT have said that we should restrain on the Timber-dicks this year but everyone seems to be seeing good numbers and cracking on as usual. I don't think very many people actually make an effort to target them, rather being shot opportunistically while out shooting anyway so it stands that if numbers were low then less would be shot. Hunting can self regulate in that way.

16 hours ago, neil cooney said:

Well done Bell, a mixed bag is brilliant. Had a bad enough days rough shooting yesterday and we were just discussing how we've seen more Woodcock then Snipe, never happened before, Pigeon are scarce and the Teal and Wigeon are only arriving with us now. Our Pheasants disappearing on us has made for a bad enough season. It was a funny sort of season for us.

Yes Neil, definitely good numbers of Woodcock and saw plenty of snipe but shooting them is a different matter !!

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Born Hunter said:

Great post!

Funny, BASC and the GWCT have said that we should restrain on the Timber-dicks this year but everyone seems to be seeing good numbers and cracking on as usual. I don't think very many people actually make an effort to target them, rather being shot opportunistically while out shooting anyway so it stands that if numbers were low then less would be shot. Hunting can self regulate in that way.

Youre right BH, most folk will shoot them as part of a general bag.  The spot we go to is predominantly woodcock ground.  We must flushed/seen close to 100 over 3 days.  There will be thousands of them tucked away on the forestry blocks. 

1 hour ago, bell said:

Youre right BH, most folk will shoot them as part of a general bag.  The spot we go to is predominantly woodcock ground.  We must flushed/seen close to 100 over 3 days.  There will be thousands of them tucked away on the forestry blocks. 

Sounds fantastic tbh. :thumbs:

• Like 1

Socks: that photo reminds me of a Golden Plover similarly injured and left with a badly broken wing. A mate of mine took it home and gave it to me. It lived in my garden very happily and became almost tame, until a bloody great crow came along and killed it.

• Like 2
5 hours ago, socks said:

What's worse is city wankers on a shoot hitting them and not picking them up just leaving them injured .....

IMG_1999.JPG

That’s a snipe mate, can’t believe anyone would shoot one and leave it behind injured.......you see it happen ?.......

• Like 1
10 hours ago, bell said:

That’s a snipe mate, can’t believe anyone would shoot one and leave it behind injured.......you see it happen ?.......

I'd hope they at least tried to pick it. Snipe can just fecking disappear though. Especially if the dogs aren't used to picking them.

• Like 1

it was on the local shoot, one of the drives is opposite my house and the picking up team they have is useless so after they shoot and move on I send my dogs out and always get a few pricked or dead birds they've missed ... the pup found this .....

• Like 1
2 hours ago, socks said:

it was on the local shoot, one of the drives is opposite my house and the picking up team they have is useless so after they shoot and move on I send my dogs out and always get a few pricked or dead birds they've missed ... the pup found this .....

Deffo its abit mad what the lurchers can bring back to ya after a shoot day. Birds are probably chucked in a hole or burned anyway

• Like 1