Pike on the fly

Had a few hours on the rising fishery on the new predator lake with a mate earlier . It was a bit slow because of the ice cold water but I managed a little jack on a small bunny bug and a better one on the 10inch tinsely thing . While I was sorting the pike rash out so my mate picked my rod up and had a few casts and got another decent one near enough straight away on the same fly . 

77DBD97E-1D89-47F5-8993-EAA55EBAC83E.jpeg

4251EF4D-5076-4EE0-9BF7-C21DE671B0D3.jpeg

9D65DA9D-27AE-4E60-92D1-EB215EB132E9.jpeg

3F2F6607-03B6-4918-9FA4-E8D904385397.jpeg

47FA760E-5393-4EA0-9780-7714930701B8.jpeg

• Like 7

Nice one.

I used to fly fish for pike a lot from my kayak and boat but as there are few places here that I can fly fish for the perch and pike, I went back to lure fishing.

If you can get hold of some, try popper flies, the disturbance on the water surface drives them nuts.

A couple of my tied flies:-

DSCF2713_zps4f9f53df.jpg

DSCF2712_zps50d8404c.jpg

DSCF2693_zpsde86fba3.jpg

I sold all my fly tying gear now and do miss it a bit.

Phil

• Like 4
43 minutes ago, philpot said:

Nice one.

I used to fly fish for pike a lot from my kayak and boat but as there are few places here that I can fly fish for the perch and pike, I went back to lure fishing.

If you can get hold of some, try popper flies, the disturbance on the water surface drives them nuts.

A couple of my tied flies:-

DSCF2713_zps4f9f53df.jpg

DSCF2712_zps50d8404c.jpg

DSCF2693_zpsde86fba3.jpg

I sold all my fly tying gear now and do miss it a bit.

Phil

Nice flies . Like you I sold my tying gear years ago  ,  I’ll probably get back into to it at some point . I do have some poppers and also some mouse topwaters but I’ve not used them yet but they’ll be getting some use on the canal once it warms up a bit 

The poppers were my top fly and used them all year round despite the experts saying they were only good on warm summer evenings. I admit you need some good fish holding spots for them to really work such as reed bed edges or pontoons etc but when all else failed..................................the poppers would catch.

Phil

• Like 1
3 hours ago, philpot said:

The poppers were my top fly and used them all year round despite the experts saying they were only good on warm summer evenings. I admit you need some good fish holding spots for them to really work such as reed bed edges or pontoons etc but when all else failed..................................the poppers would catch.

Phil

Great looking flies ? am a fan of popper flies for all predators   ESP on the salt very visual which suits me in the right situation they unbeatable there’s something special about seeing a predator crash a surface fly 

Edited by green lurchers
  • Like 2