Monday TEA IN THE 50s

I must have eaten  a mile of this stuff since i was a kid, boiled with whole Onions  Cabbage and unpeeled Spuds , next day Mam would add a Quart of soaked Peas to the Liquor  and that was another cheap meal . you rarely see them now days but years ago they were very common and more importantly Cheap, did  any one else dine  so well????

SUNP0015 (1).JPG

• Like 2

i remember years ago when to lads from newcastle was over here and came out for a couple of days digging. my missus put up a huge plate of boiled bacon and cabbage with spuds.

they didnt know what it was lol. they said that they never had.

i found that hard to believe, but they cleaned their plates.

atb j

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 1/13/2018 at 22:54, jetro said:

why did it take you so long to try them neil. they are gorgeous. manys a family rared on them with cabbage and spuds.

atb j

Growing up my mother never done them and only when I seen them in the butchers one day did I decide to try them. Like I say, I've been missing out as they're real tasty. As a butcher there's several things I sold and have never tasted but someday hopefully I'll eat brisket corned beef, crubbeens, tripe and cows heel. But they're nearly things of the past nowadays.

Oh, nearly forgot pigs tails.

1 hour ago, walshie said:

Seems a distant memory now but do you remember when pork chops seemed to be massive with a bit of kidney attached on the back?

Aye and maybe even with the rind on for some crackling. Had kidneys this evening for my tea in fact. The beauty of having a proper local butcher.

• Thanks 1