Cracking day let's make a curry!

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Thought f**k work let's go ferreting, a few calls and a decent little team was put together, White Van Man and my mate Micky plus their dogs, a bucket full of ferrets, all the nets you may (or probabl

i maybe in the minority but i like a terrier ferreting the awkward places. looks like a great day was had atb.

cracking read mate, thats what its all about for me, dogs and ferrets all there doing there job and loving life, ourselves loving life bit crack few laffs and a nice bit of food at the end of the day!

15 minutes ago, NEWKID said:

Thought f**k work let's go ferreting, a few calls and a decent little team was put together, White Van Man and my mate Micky plus their dogs, a bucket full of ferrets, all the nets you may (or probably may not) need... and we were on!

ive said tons of times on here we don't take it too seriously and being out, having a laugh, watching the dogs, taking the piss is far more important than the haul at the end... today was no different, and once we had marvelled at the 5 peacocks in the tree over our head and the other 10 on the farm roof ( watching these things fly is a surreal way to start the day), then ate our bacon sarnies we were ready to go..

this is a new bit of permo, and the lady farmer is great, she used to keep and work lurchers and remebers well "the good old days" she's a proper country woman and great to have a yap with...

she was in the barn with a load of pregnant ewes, lambing is in full swing, and greeted us by telling me the hedge she wanted doing, it wasn't exactly the hedge I had planned, but not to be rude I obliged and thanked her for moving the cattle out for us..

normal procedure for us and hedges, a few stop nets along the length, the odd run net in the top and the field open for the runners... but today wasn't going to be the lurchers day... the little terrier of Micky's stole the show, catching on top with ease and digging on to a few awkward ones to save us the hassle.. Geth's busher worked really well too, this is only his 3rd time ferreting and come the end of the day he has really settled to it and switched right on, making a couple of good catches off the top of the hedge..

IMG_2407.thumb.JPG.24a44dc51b3c47207909710b612fedd7.JPG

we had 18 out of the first hedge and decided to leave all the kit at the truck and walk with a ferret in the pocket and our collection of dogs, we had another 4 bolters and missed a few... this was a really enjoyable last hour or so, there is tons to get at on this bit, and enough rabbits about to make a few more decent days...

Micky is breeding the little terrier bitch this year, so I'm in for a pup to replace mine I lost last year....

IMG_2415.thumb.JPG.334cd96e0991302ff4c854a781b6b475.JPG

The freezer is pretty full now for the dogs and ferrets, so when I got home I skinned and jointed 3 and made a curry... nice end to a great day... cheers to White Van Man for the pics... and his epic dig.. just over a foot... 2 hours later he came back grinning with the ferret lol

IMG_2408.thumb.JPG.03c70ebd1fe242716a0c0d502e531873.JPGIMG_2409.thumb.JPG.3d4010a46db2dfad5e7aa9c921d60f75.JPGIMG_2410.thumb.JPG.759a095953fd3775a0259e0ec31d6fbb.JPGIMG_2417.thumb.JPG.e725b62fbdb778946af68e8668ad35db.JPGIMG_2419.thumb.JPG.5262869b7ae69baa2b6c985a332741aa.JPGIMG_2421.thumb.JPG.a847c502f8dc0ce315d87fc09558de81.JPGIMG_2406.thumb.JPG.771e6952c13d9ad69de555e57b09b720.JPGIMG_2423.thumb.JPG.75aadf4c37b358a57c6c0ba6b11d35ba.JPG

Great stuff with nice bit of food at the end glad you had a great day out 

• Like 2
14 minutes ago, ginger beard said:

Great morning for it here.

top hedge looks a difficult hedge to do so great haul and the jointed rabbit looks lovely and healthy.

Cheers mate... the hedge weren't too bad... didn't crawl in there much though, the dogs done the hard work! Lol

7 minutes ago, green lurchers said:

Great stuff with nice bit of food at the end glad you had a great day out 

Cheers mate... the curry was bloody lovely.. it'll be even better tomorrow though 

• Thanks 1
5 minutes ago, darbo said:

i maybe in the minority but i like a terrier ferreting the awkward places. looks like a great day was had atb.

I'm the same, yes they can be a pain in the ass at times, over committed, hard mouthed etc... but I love em on top of a heavy hedge, they push the rabbits hard and catch their fair share, plus a good one marks great!

ive really missed my old terrier this season (she died last April), like you say not everyone's cup of tea but I can't wait to get another this summer..

• Like 2

Looks a good fun day and a nice bag at the end of it, I hate doing hedgerows, but then I don't have the luxury of the dogs like you had.

curry looks fantastic, making me drool and I've just had my tea !

talking of dogs, I wouldn't mind a pup out of her, just the sort I want for mooching/ferreting and ratting round my place.

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, Rabid said:

Looks a good fun day and a nice bag at the end of it, I hate doing hedgerows, but then I don't have the luxury of the dogs like you had.

curry looks fantastic, making me drool and I've just had my tea !

talking of dogs, I wouldn't mind a pup out of her, just the sort I want for mooching/ferreting and ratting round my place.

I'll keep you updated mate.

where anouts are you?

• Thanks 1
3 minutes ago, NEWKID said:

I'll keep you updated mate.

where anouts are you?

Cheers,

bedford,  but get down your way every so often.

meant to ask why you hang them from the head and not the back legs, never seen that before.

50 minutes ago, Rabid said:

Cheers,

meant to ask why you hang them from the head and not the back legs, never seen that before.

I would say He has pinned their ears to the barbed wire fence just to hang them for the picture .......

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Rabid said:

Cheers,

No worries mate, I'll let you know...

only hung them by their ears off the barb wire for a pic,