Down to the dog ....

Out on the doe’s again this morning , mild ,damp with a very slight north westerly ..working through the lower wood and bank we had only been going twenty minutes and the dog stopped , nose in the air ,stretching her head up she was almost lifting her front legs , a clear sign she could sent the deer . A full ten minutes we stood there , she never moved forward but just kept her head high scenting all the time , I for the life of me couldn’t see them or it ..finally I see the head of a deer poking out from behind a tree , no distance 40 metres at most it just stood motionless another five minutes went by and it never moved a muscle, very slowly I opened the sticks and shouldered the rifle , a second later it folded ...no wonder it never moved , it was almost dead on its legs , 5C67491E-FCE9-4B85-AAEF-2B09174F6D3E.thumb.jpeg.88e39dd2cad1e48577a9c85885166038.jpeg

Dragging a broken back leg it had worn the skin of its foot , a hole partially healed over in its haunch that was festering and it’s rear end rotting away , it was also blind in one eye ...probably the most satisfying round I’ve fired this year ..left as fox food .

The morning produced another two cull beasts in better condition...

BA1B7142-4558-456D-91FE-4767B8DE0615.thumb.jpeg.db5f3bc1d4c5ccb883db5734d49b8698.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

If I ever get that bad, drop one in me as well please, must have been bloody agony living like that, to wear the fur and skin off, what a state.

them other two look good, one looks real big, bet you never dragged that very far !

Hows the dog coming on mate, she was just a pup when we were out, sounds like she's getting a good all rounder now.

23 minutes ago, Rabid said:

If I ever get that bad, drop one in me as well please, must have been bloody agony living like that, to wear the fur and skin off, what a state.

them other two look good, one looks real big, bet you never dragged that very far !

Hows the dog coming on mate, she was just a pup when we were out, sounds like she's getting a good all rounder now.

Will do Rob ,I dragged that a tidy way ..............with the quad ..:whistling:

The dogs come on a treat mate ,  she’s a pleasure to have out , not quite as layed  back as the old lab but that was never going to be ..your see when your down ..

• Like 1
8 hours ago, sussex said:

Will do Rob ,I dragged that a tidy way ..............with the quad ..:whistling:

The dogs come on a treat mate ,  she’s a pleasure to have out , not quite as layed  back as the old lab but that was never going to be ..your see when your down ..

I will give ya £200 for that little old dawg lol....................nice work, and nice to see folk putting their trust in the dog 100% :thumbs:

• Like 1
9 hours ago, delswal said:

I will give ya £200 for that little old dawg lol....................nice work, and nice to see folk putting their trust in the dog 100% :thumbs:

£200 ...:yahoo:cracked it ..you old boys up there know when to chuck your hand deep into your pockets . All the talk of you northern boys being hard to part with a pound are clearly wrong ..I’ve got some left over Christmas wrapping , and a sticky label I’ll get her in the post today ..:rofl:.....Cheers Del :laugh:

• Haha 1
18 hours ago, sussex said:

£200 ...:yahoo:cracked it ..you old boys up there know when to chuck your hand deep into your pockets . All the talk of you northern boys being hard to part with a pound are clearly wrong ..I’ve got some left over Christmas wrapping , and a sticky label I’ll get her in the post today ..:rofl:.....Cheers Del :laugh:

Don't forget to chuck bit of food  in :thumbs:

15 minutes ago, Outback 1 said:

We would want the postage in the £200 .......Good effort with the doe , was it traffic damage ? 

That goes without saying mate , :laugh: , yes the Doe was rta , we get quite a few over the year as our boundary is an A road ..they tend to gravitate to the very bottom of the valley which I suppose is the natural thing to walk the path of least resistance ..