F.A.C mentor

hi guys,  I now its a long shot but here goes,

I'm interested in obtaining my fac, but have very little experience with firearms sec 1, I do hold a S G certificate and have done for the past 7 or so years, and I have had air rifles most of my life.

speaking to my FEO I mentioned to him about applying for my sec 1, he said he sees no reason why I couldn't have it but would like me to gain a bit of experience,. so hence the request. I am more than willing to pay for fuel, ammo, also the odd bottle of hows ya father for the help, I'm looking for someone in the Cleveland  area if poss, but do have transport so able to travel.

I am 50+ years young, reasonable fit, 100 % honest and respectful.

any offers would be great fully appreciated or any advise  cheers guys

Although it might seem sensible to get a bit of advise  and help, there is no requirement in law for a  mentor. As far as I know the firearms advisory  group has advised the chief constables to drop  mentoring. The feos make it up as they go along. And if you go along with it you are creating another hoop to jump through. Consider this 》》》 how is a mentor qualified to be a mentor?  If there is some sort of silly accident or incident who is responsible? You for pulling the trigger or the mentor for allowing you to be in a situation where you actually pulled the trigger.  if you are the mentor are you personaly responsible?  What would the personal liabilties be? Would any insurance company cover the risk of the mentor?  Everyone has to learn but if you don't feel confident about using the weapon which you have applied for, should you be applying.  If you have  good reason go for it and tell the foe that you do not need a mentor. Fight for what you want. If you are in an organisation consult them for their help. If that org does not want to help you, boot them into touch. An org that I was with did just this to me. This org is no use to man nor beast. Even if they do send you a quarterly magazine fulĺ of adverts.

• Like 1
9 hours ago, walshie said:

I'd have thought having a SGC for 7 years would count as experience. 

Nice offer from Del though. He knows his shooting, but don't go out with him alone after dark. :angel:

Pssst.............:feck:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

P.S.. If I were near you I would certainly offer to help you and show you the way. But the difference is that if someone goes with you that's one thing but If you get a mentor written on your cert. The situation might arise where you can't go out and use the weapon without being accompanied by that mentor. This has happened with my son in law. It was an innocuous question from the foe about just watching over him for a few trips but when the cert came through the wording had a different slant to it and in reality lasts for the life of the cert at least.  The police /foe make this rubbish up as they go along . Dont take it and fight for what you want. If you've got  reason , security and somewhere to go they can't say no.

• Like 1

thanks you meece,. they asked for it on my sg aswell even though id been out many a time with my uncle.

I hear what your saying in regards to having it on a fc, this would be some thing I wouldn't want, hence the need for me to gain all the experience I can to show that I wouldn't need to be accompanied hopefully having gain enough experience prior to being issued with a section 1.

• 4 years later...
Ysa New memberships considered now....
£50* off  new members
from £195* level 1

1- zero over land 50-300yd (max 7.7mm)
2- Sgc / all sgc seasonal permitted shoot
3- sgc/fac / ALQ 223+ discounted stalk events
4- ALQ & incl stalking 243+

make the most of your sport, best priced club in Uk....
Price of a single take-away, weekly