My Peregrine/Lanner hybrid.

CheffJeff

Hello folks.

At the urging of my good friend Matt, here is a bit of info and a couple of pics of my female Pere/Lanner falcon.

She is in her second season now and flown as a lure bird. I trained her to the lure mainly because finding suitable quarry, land and permission to fly longwings properly, is bloody hard to say the least - I can't afford three weeks a year devoted to game hawking in Scotland sadly, and I don't fancy legging it after her for miles and miles chasing wary old rooks or crows.

Don't get me wrong, lots of folks fly falcons without investing in a grouse moor, but for me, having a bird that flies to the lure means I can have a bird that I fly quite simply and easily every day. It is also teaching me most of what I need to to know regarding handling, hooding, husbandry and general management. All the things that will be even more delicate and complicated when it comes to getting a hunting bird in the future.

I'll probably get a Goshawk, so I'll be keeping a particularly keen eye on any Goshawk posts on here.

I should be able to pick up enough mixed ground permission to fly a Gos' over. In fact I have a couple of places already and getting out on club field meets is also a way to fly over decent land.

Of course If I win the lottery, I'll be off to Scotland every year with a cast of falcons in August / September leaving the rest of the winter free to go Goshawking.......watch this space!

Ethel Andy 3 Dec 2017-149.jpg

Ethel 18th Dec 2017-188.jpg

Ethel-44.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, mattwhite said:

She's looking fantastic Jeff and those photos are top quality stuff pal. 

I need to get some time off and come and watch her doing her stuff one afternoon.

Keep the posts coming pal??

Cheers Matt. Will do, and we'll get together asap mate.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On 1/10/2018 at 21:29, Big dode said:

She looks a cracker mate in perfect feather nice 1

Hey thanks for the comment fella. I'm quite proud of the condition we manage to keep her in.

She managed to break a couple of primaries in her first season whilst she was still untrained.

Since moulting out though, we have managed to keep her pretty much pristine.

Might be a different story if and when I manage to get her going on game though!

• Like 1
On 22/01/2018 at 17:37, CheffJeff said:

Hey thanks for the comment fella. I'm quite proud of the condition we manage to keep her in.

She managed to break a couple of primaries in her first season whilst she was still untrained.

Since moulting out though, we have managed to keep her pretty much pristine.

Might be a different story if and when I manage to get her going on game though!

Im sure she will be fine mate look forward to the pics of her on some game

• Like 2