Couple down

Visited Tim at the weekend from my first stalk of 2018.. first trip out for a while come to that. First field of the first place we looked we found 7 roe couched against a hedge and had just formulated a stalk plan when a f***ing long dog came haring round a barn right up to us and started jumping about in full sight of the deer before running back to its owner who was tinkering with a car. 

The deer had seen the dog before by the look of things as they  fecked of quick smart. It looked like game over but giving the field another scan revealed 3 more roe further up the hedge, two does and a buck. Using a spinny as cover and then a short belly crawl we got to 170m from the group. 

The first doe hardly reacted to the shot at all but I knew that it was good and after a good run she circled back to the strike spot and went down. By this time the other two had made some ground and stopped 240m away. A bit too confident I had a go and hit the other doe just in front of the shoulder in the brisket and the missed a follow up shot. She made it to the hedge and after a few minutes we separated, Tim going to the lower end and me going to where she went in. I got to 15m from the siege and she wandered out, looked at me and couched right in front of me which, despite the number of deer I’ve grassed, was pretty bloody heart wrenching. I whistled to Tim who was over to my right to stop him and head shot her off the sticks. 

Two nice deer in the larder and a lesson about overconfidence re-learned.

D0A488E1-36D1-470E-9551-6E6FE253CAAE.thumb.jpeg.81bbf972b05e8998ab171dbf62697010.jpeg

• Like 1

nice ending mate its no how you get into it its how you get out of it and you finished up with her grassed as said the more shooting you do the more chance of that happening  

• Like 1