Jeff Burrell - disgusting (allegedly)

5 minutes ago, Bosun11 said:

Yep Allan, and that really is the crux, he doesn't need to do it...!!

Both his and his brothers dogs are in Walshes Lurchers & Longdogs book and if i recall right it says they are line bred types there.

40+ years of history right there and then the family history with the line takes them far beyond any line i know of, without going into the Norman conquest type bullshit.

It's a lovely type and look built to put gear in the bag and given a keen owner i'd bet they'd do just that..!

6 minutes ago, Bosun11 said:

Yep Allan, and that really is the crux, he doesn't need to do it...!!

Both his and his brothers dogs are in Walshes Lurchers & Longdogs book and if i recall right it says they are line bred types there.

40+ years of history right there and then the family history with the line takes them far beyond any line i know of, without going into the Norman conquest type bullshit.

It's a lovely type and look built to put gear in the bag and given a keen owner i'd bet they'd do just that..!

Tbh I’ve never had a Lurcher so agile and so responsive, early days yet though. I will see how she goes this season and if anyone is interested or even if they’re not I’ll post an honest account of how things pan out. 

• Like 7

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

To be a dealer in dogs, you need to have a certain mindset... I remember a commercial breeder once telling me,.."You would never be any good at it, Phil,..you ask the buyer, too many questions"

Fella is still talking to Jeff on the phone 

Bosun,.. You are not alone in taking a fancy towards that old style lurcher type..?. Back in the day, I had a useful lurcher bitch, name of Mercedes... I had some great times, both day and n

Posted Images

12 minutes ago, Moocher71 said:

Lot of folk think the litters Jeff puts up in cmw are bred by him but that's not the case as most are bred by others who keep this type .

I've always liked the look of them and maybe once me old dog gone to the big lands above I'll get myself a pup .

Good luck bud for this season. ?

Atb mooch 

Thanks Mooch, she’ll get a fair crack and the signs are looking good. You are 100% right about him not continuously breeding his own dogs but he likes to be involved because he’s dog daft. Enjoy your season mate and if you bump into Jeff give him my regards?

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Bosun11 said:

Really nice looking dog there...

Not seen a Burrell dog i've not liked to be honest.

I've always liked that type and dispite the flannel on the lines 800 year old history, line bred lurchers of that type are a rare thing.

I'd take a punt on one before many other types...

I liked watching him grow up from ferreting to pulling roe and taking fox all single handedly he was a joy to watch.And like I said he adapted to it like a natural but took some knocks through his working life.If I was out all the time now and could get another like him I would jump on the chance,that’s why I can’t understand why people crab the man and probably never spoke to him and listen to here say so follow the bullshit that comes out of most the muppets life’s on here.Believe me mate if you have the chance of one take it cos I couldn’t knock him ?

• Like 5
On 28/08/2021 at 20:37, grompz said:

if any ones intrested in a jeff burrell tumbler lurcher, theres an ad for them in this weeks cmw, price tag £500-£600, might satisfy some of your doubts, about what he breeds.

Century’s of breeding??‍♂️

I had a dog from a JB bitch. The sire was a coursing Saluki type named Chance, that apparently was injured and retired early but used at stud and a producer. The pup I had was not the typical Burrell stamp, but he was a very good dog on most things and could stay forever.

I had one of his Greyhounds aswell to race, but it wouldnt chase and was retired. It was half coursing, half track breeding.

• Like 1

Reading threw this topic, quickly I may add so do excuse if I missed a disgruntled customer! People do seem happy enough with the pups they buy from him, just not about his eccentricity and the fact they have to bath them and put a touch of perfume on them before allowing them into their new piss free sterile digs (no pissing allowed it smells).

• Like 1
1 hour ago, joe ox said:

Reading threw this topic, quickly I may add so do excuse if I missed a disgruntled customer! People do seem happy enough with the pups they buy from him, just not about his eccentricity and the fact they have to bath them and put a touch of perfume on them before allowing them into their new piss free sterile digs (no pissing allowed it smells).

You forgot the bit about dogs kept in the kitchen cupboards with mesh on the front ? 

52 minutes ago, SheepChaser said:

You forgot the bit about dogs kept in the kitchen cupboards with mesh on the front ? 

Each to their own I suppose, do you do that with orphan lambs? most sheep farmers can be very artistic and work wonders with bailing twine and mesh, their household hygiene can be eye opening ?

• Like 1
5 hours ago, SheepChaser said:

That's a load of old b and same goes for saying his yard stinks of piss and let's face it not every one runs outside to wash down a run every time a dog cocks its leg . He thinks more of his dogs than he does himself and yes he talks rubbish sometimes but like been said he really as no need as his line go back a lot longer than most .

• Like 2
On 29/08/2021 at 19:21, Bosun11 said:

Really nice looking dog there...

Not seen a Burrell dog i've not liked to be honest.

I've always liked that type and dispite the flannel on the lines 800 year old history, line bred lurchers of that type are a rare thing.

I'd take a punt on one before many other types...

Bosun,.. You are not alone in taking a fancy towards that old style lurcher type..?.

Back in the day, I had a useful lurcher bitch, name of Mercedes...

I had some great times, both day and night with this keen animal, and I decided to take a pup from her..

But, what to use ?

Almost by chance, I encountered a big heavy coated Herding dog that was used as a sheep worker up high on the vast chalk Down land, twixt West and East Sussex....

He was steel Grey in colour and was colloquially known, as a Blue Shag... 

The dog , in common with many roustabout working curs, was as hard as nails and possibly the nearest style of canine that I have seen which matched my own vision of an ancient, 'SmithField ' type droving cur..

Anyway,..the litter was small in number, and the resulting progeny were also incredibly unusual in both their looks, and strange feral behaviour...

I kept back, a heavy coated bitch and she could catch plenty of gear...her speed was quite deceiving and she was frequently on top of her quarry, in a real quicksilver manner...

I continued to breed this type for one more litter, and the pups were amazingly level in shape and most examples came out Blue, or Creamy Fawn in colour... 

Go careful now lads, and stay safe...

Kind regards, OldPhil.?

Edited by OldPhil
  • Like 18
3 hours ago, OldPhil said:

You are not alone in taking a fancy towards that old style lurcher type..?.

Back in the day, I had a useful roustabout lurcher bitch, name of Mercedes...

I had some great times, both day and night with this keen animal, and I decided to take a pup from her..

But, what to use ?

Almost by chance, I encountered a big heavy coated Herding dog that was used on the high chalk Downland, twixt West and East Sussex....He was steel Grey in colour and was colloquially known as a Blue Shag... 

He was possibly the nearest canine that I have handled, to my vision of the ancient 'SmithField ' type, droving cur..

Anyway,..the resulting litter was small in number, but was incredibly unusual in both looks and behaviour...

I kept back a heavy coated bitch and she could catch plenty of gear...her speed was quite deceiving and she was frequently on top of her quarry in a real quicksilver manner...I continued to breed this type for one more litter and the pups mostly came out either Blue or Creamy Fawn in colour... 

Real head turners at that time , and folk started to label them as SmithFields or Norfolk  Lurchers.

I was encouraged to go with the flow and start knocking them out for sale, ad -infinitum...

This wasn't really my scene,.I just didn't have the required temperament (or nerve)to carry it off.?

Anyway,..as I say,.I can understand just why folk are initially attracted, to such unique jukels..

Go careful now lads, and stay safe...

Kind regards, OldPhil.?

scan0098.jpg

Oh that dog has some coat old phil.

• Like 1