Another Good Day

Another GREAT watch ,ferreting is something one never gets sick off no matter how often we go .A good hard working ferret that's easy to handle is truthly worth their weight in gold .What breed is the brindle bitch " cass" ,straight whippet ?

Edited by toolebox
  • Like 1
7 hours ago, toolebox said:

Another GREAT watch ,ferreting is something one never gets sick off no matter how often we go .A good hard working ferret that's easy to handle is truthly worth their weight in gold .What breed is the brindle bitch " cass" ,straight whippet ?

Kass is a pure pitty  and Zip is 3/4 whippet x 1/8 Grey hound 1/8 Deerhound 22 inch tts, she is normally a lot more hairy but I clip her in summer so she runs cooler. I agree worth their weight in gold, I never tire of the game and been at it awhile now, I dont do the pigs anymore, but still take the odd fox when spotlighting, Zip bails them ( slows them up) and Kass crunches them when she gets there,they make a good team. Glad you enjoyed it :drinks:

S9WLFf3.png

One of the best dogs I owned was a whippet x greyhound, f thing was mental, was no game it wouldn't tackle, including pigs, was smart and never got hurt loved roos.

It was awesome to watch that dog deliberately unbalance a roo and cause them to tumble in full flight, then stand behind them grab the back of the neck so as not to get hurt, caught plenty of fox but struggled to kill them had to run him two up with a cruncher, and an exceptional hare dog surprisingly sound for that breed and had a few since that weren’t anywhere near as good or sound, so we started to lean towards the staghounds a bit more for better feet  (A Staghound in Australia is a Deerhound x Greyhound) These day I mainly on the rabbits so I use the whippet x  or pure breds. R.I.P Sam

My greyhound x whippet was abit of a mad man as well ,but could he jump ,its almost like he was flying ,his keenest to get the job done was in fact his undoing, as he broke his neck at a rabbit hole .I sadly miss him even though its been 7 odd years ,I doubt I will ever get another one of that cross .I bred and owned both his parents,whom were also very good dogs ,both long gone now as well.(never forgotten).These days I do alot of "dogging " in heavy cover or ferreting and either a whippet or whippet x best suits my needs .I do have a need at times for one big fast dog.For that purpose I have  a greyhound x wire haired pointer/ lab who catches a good number of rabbits when they break cover  .We don't have the stag hound type In NZ which is a shame as I know they would add value to hunters over here . 

Edited by toolebox
  • Like 1

I hunt mainly in Vic and N.S.W that video is on a property in Vic, where the farmer has a lot of trouble with rabbits, pindone ( they dont touch it to much good feed on the ground) and rhd have very little to drop the numbers, he also ploughs them, they just dig them out again just got to look at the size of the burrows he has exspensive cross country horses bolting round those paddocks, and thats a lot of holes to snap a leg in, not to mention the amount of feed they eat.

6 hours ago, oz0707 said:

Used to go out west ish Qld as a kid past Texas. Looks similar Landscape actually. Get any crays in the dam?

Havn't tried yet, the one to the north is a tidal salt lake, the one to the left is fresh water and should hold plenty of yabbies I just hope he lets me at them :-)

Your up early Doug , Always good to see  folks getting a few ,Good vid nice dogs

Also if you or anybody you know are  looking for any more ferrets i have a few young ones over here , From good working stock

only about 6 weeks old so not quite ready as yet

Bernie

Will do mate. I got a few mates with them left over atm, I had 26 kept 3, mine are always pre booked, they are selling well on gumtree i have been told.

Thz - Got to get in early to avoid the heat normally home for lunch this time of year, I pick my days.