Give your local FEO a ring they will give you all the advice you need, if you get no joy, join BASC or countryside alliance  before you apply again if you do happen to get refused they will fight your corner for you.

ATB.........Del

• Like 1

In Ireland the superintendent in a police station can refuse your licence if he is of the opinion you are not an upstanding member of your community or of good character even if you don't have convictions. They (police) readily ignore the law and make up there own rules or delay paperwork. You can appeal against the refusal in district court where a judge will decide .

I'd be on the side of Del and The One for this Patterdale. Call your local FEO, it will come down to a number of deciding factors really, but in the grand scheme of things they are the ones who issue certificates and are usually pretty helpful if you're civil. I second Dels point to join BASC if you haven't already. They have a pretty helpful legal team that you can call at most hours, and they will be able to advise before you contact your FEO/take further action. As Del said, BASC will usually help fight your corner too if you are unfairly refused/revoked.

It is worth mentioning that I'm not talking from personal experience, however I have heard of other people in similar situations who have followed a similar course of action.

Edited by Mark_mjs93
4 hours ago, Mark_mjs93 said:

I'd be on the side of Del and The One for this Patterdale. Call your local FEO, it will come down to a number of deciding factors really, but in the grand scheme of things they are the ones who issue certificates and are usually pretty helpful if you're civil. I second Dels point to join BASC if you haven't already. They have a pretty helpful legal team that you can call at most hours, and they will be able to advise before you contact your FEO/take further action. As Del said, BASC will usually help fight your corner too if you are unfairly refused/revoked.

It is worth mentioning that I'm not talking from personal experience, however I have heard of other people in similar situations who have followed a similar course of action.

How independent from police are the FEOs in the UK will they try help you or do they usually take the side of police and do they have the final decision in granting a permit or do they just advise? In Ireland a crime prevention officer can inspect your gun cabinet and security (locks on windows and alarms) for high powered rifles but they are a police officer. It's not uncommon here for guards to grunt at you over the counter and even if you don't rub them up the wrong way they might dump your form in the corner and 6 months later you call in to see what's the delay and they tell you they haven't even sent it away yet. It's very frustrating when you haven't done anything wrong and there is very little you can do about it but bite your tongue. Get lippy with them and you have no chance. On the other side some can be very helpful and you could have it back in two weeks.

7 hours ago, jiggy said:

How independent from police are the FEOs in the UK will they try help you or do they usually take the side of police and do they have the final decision in granting a permit or do they just advise? In Ireland a crime prevention officer can inspect your gun cabinet and security (locks on windows and alarms) for high powered rifles but they are a police officer. It's not uncommon here for guards to grunt at you over the counter and even if you don't rub them up the wrong way they might dump your form in the corner and 6 months later you call in to see what's the delay and they tell you they haven't even sent it away yet. It's very frustrating when you haven't done anything wrong and there is very little you can do about it but bite your tongue. Get lippy with them and you have no chance. On the other side some can be very helpful and you could have it back in two weeks.

To my knowledge (Which isn't great I'll admit) FEOs are firearms Enquiry Officers who work within the police specifically for firearms licensing. As far as I am aware they are basically just licensing officers. They are the guys and girls that will come out, inspect your safe to ensure it is safely and correctly installed in line with the law. They interview you and are inevitably the ones that make the final say (if I am wrong here, someone please correct me :) ). It's obviously worth mentioning that the licensing of firearms in Ireland is far stricter than even England to my understanding. It can be frustrating, but we all have to take into consideration that these procedures are in place and FEOs are only doing their jobs to ensure everyone is on the right side of the law. In cases where a FEO is being unjust or causing difficulty for difficulties sake, there is no point in getting arsey and making things worse for yourself as this will end up counting against you. It's best to bite your tongue and appeal if you think there is no real reason for the rejection of a certificate and as Del said seek advice before doing so from an independent source like BASC or CA. At the end of the day the decision does come down to the Chief superintendent for the police force in question. Some forces are easier to deal with than others. Years back I had a mate in Armagh who had his firearms certificate. Said it was an absolute ball ache to apply for and the whole process was nothing but a headache. 

Best option, if you are looking for independent advice, seek advice from BASC or CA. If you are already a member then you're paying for the service, make the most of it. 

As for getting lippy, same in every industry isn't it? I don't know many people that are all that accommodating to those who are rude/mouthy. A little respect goes a long way. 

(Edit: a couple of mistakes here, as I said my knowledge isn’t great in this particular area as I haven’t got my Certs yet. Walshie clarified below but I shan’t hide my mistakes ??) 

Edited by Mark_mjs93
  • Like 1

Very true about been lippy and the statement that the customer is always right might work in most places but not in these situations. At least ye have the benifit that your FEO is a civilian that might have some compassion and your not dealing with a robot.???

FEOs in the UK are normally serving Police Officers or retired ones. FEOs are exactly that - Enquiry Officers. They don't make decisions on who gets a ticket or not. They just ask the questions and report back to the Licensing Manager who makes the call based on the info given .

I've not had problems with any of my FEOs but if I did, I'd take it to the Licensing Manager.

1 hour ago, walshie said:

FEOs in the UK are normally serving Police Officers or retired ones. FEOs are exactly that - Enquiry Officers. They don't make decisions on who gets a ticket or not. They just ask the questions and report back to the Licensing Manager who makes the call based on the info given .

I've not had problems with any of my FEOs but if I did, I'd take it to the Licensing Manager.

Superintendent has to stamp the final decision over here on advice from which ever gaurd is dealing with firearms, usually there's one allocated in each station. They don't ask you on form if you've ever been convicted of a crime instead they ask you if you've ever been charged with a crime so even if you were found not guilty they will still be arsey. On the other side of the coin there's a local who was found guilty of sexually assaulting a child and he has a firearm licence. It beggars belief if he's not a danger to society. There is men who were in court for having a punch up with other grown men the same size and they got refused. Not of good character my arse. Others had road traffic offences for FFS.???