Deafness in white dogs

No, it tends to be black terriers that deaf you out when they're on a line.

It's the breeders of white terriers that are deaf when you tell them that if they don't get their house in order the good proper working Jack Russell will be gone forever .

JMHO.

• Like 2
13 hours ago, neil cooney said:

No, it tends to be black terriers that deaf you out when they're on a line.

It's the breeders of white terriers that are deaf when you tell them that if they don't get their house in order the good proper working Jack Russell will be gone forever .

JMHO.

That's like the puppy peddling black terrier breeders here.

8 hours ago, Aussie Whip said:

That's like the puppy peddling black terrier breeders here.

We might hunt different quarry in different terrains all over the world but it looks like the poor old working terrier will always have the cancer within of the puppy peddler. Such is life.

• Like 2

It is a definite "thing". A genetic thing, obviously. Something to do with the gene that produces pigment in an animal is the same gene, or is intrinsically linked, to the gene that develops hearing. Lack of pigment could = lack of hearing. A piss poor explanation I know but not something that I have ever had the need to become more educated in. The only working bred  deaf dog that I have known was a white dog born from black and tan working type Lakelands. Never came across it in Jack Russells or whippets.

Many white ferrets (that aren't albinos) are also deaf. I believe it is the result of failure of a certain type of cell to move to the proper location during development. These cells normally would develop into cells that produce the pigment and also cells involved in hearing.

• Like 1