Dog aggression

8 minutes ago, Fidolove said:

You're dead right, as soon as another dog comes near, my blood's pumping too. I try not to react but they pick up on it. I use verbal commands when I see his heckles come up and he starts to growl but he's already in attack mode. I know balls to bones the problem is me not him, I just need to stop letting him get away with it by the sounds of it. Stop being so soft with him. 

Stimulation causes it’s own energy,  in other words when a dog is in a highly charged state you can either work with that energy or confront it ,

that’s  your two choices, 

when I bring a pup along for working , I walk only in fields, his whole focus is on me he’s in a flow state and he’s chilled out and that is the foundation for how he will feel out with me, 

every gobshite under the sun will tell you need to drag the pup out for months on end in traffic /dogs /noises/ other gobshites , whatever the world of fake news throws at you , 

pup needs none of it, none, at every crucial stages we’re confronting him with objects to qualify based solely on a Predator mindset ,and that’s the problem,  the predator without prey is stuck  with all that emotional baggage   What is prey / what is predator ??

working dogs sleep the sleep,  of the privileged,

a tiny % of dogs work in the world  but with it brings  a total comfort in spirt,because they have fulfilled their drive 

if a dog is over stimulated and under worked my advice  is get a tug item , get him on a long line and let him win until he starts bringing in the item , walk only in quiet areas , fed while out and don’t correct, manage the f****r , best of luck 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Have you had this dog from a pup?   Have you any previous experience with dogs?  Probably best to contact an experienced trainer for 1-2-1 advice Jim Greenwood was mentioned.   Physically beating a st

Ok, I've read my old training manuals.... Get a big sheet of metal, lie it on bricks so that it doesn't earth. Put a fence or some barrier around it so the dog cannot escape. Attach the sheet to

Stimulation causes it’s own energy,  in other words when a dog is in a highly charged state you can either work with that energy or confront it , that’s  your two choices,  when I bring a pu

Posted Images

14 minutes ago, Casso said:

Stimulation causes it’s own energy,  in other words when a dog is in a highly charged state you can either work with that energy or confront it ,

that’s  your two choices, 

when I bring a pup along for working , I walk only in fields, his whole focus is on me he’s in a flow state and he’s chilled out and that is the foundation for how he will feel out with me, 

every gobshite under the sun will tell you need to drag the pup out for months on end in traffic /dogs /noises/ other gobshites , whatever the world of fake news throws at you , 

pup needs none of it, none, at every crucial stages we’re confronting him with objects to qualify based solely on a Predator mindset ,and that’s the problem,  the predator without prey is stuck  with all that emotional baggage   What is prey / what is predator ??

working dogs sleep the sleep,  of the privileged,

a tiny % of dogs work in the world  but with it brings  a total comfort in spirt,because they have fulfilled their drive 

if a dog is over stimulated and under worked my advice  is get a tug item , get him on a long line and let him win until he starts bringing in the item , walk only in quiet areas , fed while out and don’t correct, manage the f****r , best of luck 

Brilliant advice, thank you! You say feed him while out and don't correct him. Can you expand on that a bit? I prefer walking him at night when no one is around but I was told because they're a sighthound it's going to trigger their aggression more (but on the flipside no one is around so it doesn't matter), is that more gobshite advice I take it? ? 

I'm really grateful for the help, it's just been getting worse. I took him to Formby woods today and he was just a nightmare. What do you think about me giving him a belt? Would that just make the aggression worse? I did give him a smack when he was younger but he behaves in every way now except his sheer hatred of dogs outside the house.

Have you had this dog from a pup?   Have you any previous experience with dogs?  Probably best to contact an experienced trainer for 1-2-1 advice Jim Greenwood was mentioned.   Physically beating a stressed dog is not the answer.  Good luck.

• Like 5
1 hour ago, Fidolove said:

Brilliant advice, thank you! You say feed him while out and don't correct him. Can you expand on that a bit? I prefer walking him at night when no one is around but I was told because they're a sighthound it's going to trigger their aggression more (but on the flipside no one is around so it doesn't matter), is that more gobshite advice I take it? ? 

I'm really grateful for the help, it's just been getting worse. I took him to Formby woods today and he was just a nightmare. What do you think about me giving him a belt? Would that just make the aggression worse? I did give him a smack when he was younger but he behaves in every way now except his sheer hatred of dogs outside the house.

Any dog only ever has 2 issues which cause problems 

1 , Do I feel safe, (at that very moment) 

2 , what do I do with my energy   

Starting from there,  we work back ways.

Take him out in areas nice and quiet, and only make tug play his only outlet of energetic expression 

The reason for this is. The tuging action gives the dog his greatest workout pound for pound , it’s up close and personal and commands can be introduced and understood while in a highly charged state if you are it’s greatest energetic output   / you control its state of arousal , 

The dog will start tuning you in , and that   is the first steps in control  

you can contact who ever you wish but if you don’t address its state of mind with stimulated your wasting your time   Problem dogs are just locked into a state of mind caused by a certain stimulation   Its focusing that state and working with it is your answer   

That state of mind when allowed to run freely gives a dog his greatest feedback    BLISS  

That state of mind corralled and confined  HELL

working with it brings release of pressure    trust and finally control 

Edited by Casso
  • Like 3

I think its the same when people get working, hunting line dogs and expect them to be satisfied with an idle existence.Seen it many times here with kelpies,working border collies and terriers acting up,being aggressive,destructive etc as they have nowhere to let off their latent instincts.As with a lot of injured lurchers,sometimes pts is the kinder way to go.

Feed only when out, dog has got to earn every scrape from here on, no free lunch , no bowl , long line while out, more physical contact, and especially feed in the down much like a collie who can ground his whole bodily energy and stay stimulated,  

bring stimulation in the house to zero , inside calm , outside movement , so a dog can contrast , they learn fast to contrast its mother nature’s law of energy conservation, it’s all physics at the end of the day only you haven’t been told that yet but the dog is our connection to the principles of energy , 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
2 hours ago, Casso said:

Feed only when out, dog has got to earn every scrape from here on, no free lunch , no bowl , long line while out, more physical contact, and especially feed in the down much like a collie who can ground his whole bodily energy and stay stimulated,  

bring stimulation in the house to zero , inside calm , outside movement , so a dog can contrast , they learn fast to contrast its mother nature’s law of energy conservation, it’s all physics at the end of the day only you haven’t been told that yet but the dog is our connection to the principles of energy , 

Energy can't be destroyed only transfered. Yes, makes absolute sense!

4 hours ago, Fidolove said:

Energy can't be destroyed only transfered. Yes, makes absolute sense!

Your learning fast , it also has to run to ground like electricity , the physical act of ripping a large tug item and kill it brings its energy to ground , physically , the same energy it wants to put into killing something else ,,  !!

you can mechinically manipulate how a dog feels about it’s world 

• Like 1
On 01/01/2018 at 18:28, mushroom said:

Ok, I've read my old training manuals....

Get a big sheet of metal, lie it on bricks so that it doesn't earth. Put a fence or some barrier around it so the dog cannot escape. Attach the sheet to the mains with jump cables (make sure you have a breaker on the wire) put the dog in there.

Next enlist the assistance of someone with a dog. Bring the dog into play on the opp side of the fence. When your dog gets aggressive, flip the switch! 

You're welcome ;)

That's some shit advice right there!!

any decent dog trainer knows you have to get a second dog ,smack it around the aggressive dogs head hard a few times,then tie it to the dogs collar for 24 hrs,obviously helps if it's smallish light dog.

• Haha 2

casso's advice sounds very good to me, I work cockers and sal crosses, so know nothing of dog training but does anyone else walk this dog? if so is it the same? is he good at home ? and could this dog be protecting you because he see's himself above you in the pack,

1 hour ago, forest of dean redneck said:

That's some shit advice right there!!

any decent dog trainer knows you have to get a second dog ,smack it around the aggressive dogs head hard a few times,then tie it to the dogs collar for 24 hrs,obviously helps if it's smallish light dog.

That's old skool advice that is. I work on modern methods!

I bet you still feed ya ferrets bread and milk ffs :blink:

12 minutes ago, peterhunter86 said:

I got my spaniel neutered in August before he was done he never even looked at another dog but since I got him done he's become very aggressive with some dog's not every dog any ideas what has him like that.

Some other dog's keep making snide comments about him being a jaffa so he kicks off 

• Haha 3