Dog aggression

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Have you had this dog from a pup?   Have you any previous experience with dogs?  Probably best to contact an experienced trainer for 1-2-1 advice Jim Greenwood was mentioned.   Physically beating a st

Ok, I've read my old training manuals.... Get a big sheet of metal, lie it on bricks so that it doesn't earth. Put a fence or some barrier around it so the dog cannot escape. Attach the sheet to

Stimulation causes it’s own energy,  in other words when a dog is in a highly charged state you can either work with that energy or confront it , that’s  your two choices,  when I bring a pu

Posted Images

I had a half choker for my dog and like yours he didn't give a shit about choking himself . 

I got a halti nose harness for him and he stopped pulling and I had uch more control over him . He'll hate the harness for a day or so but don't give in and take it off.  First time I went out with it we pretty much spent the whole time arguing with eachother until he accepted he had to wear it 

• Thanks 1
8 minutes ago, Welsh_red said:

I had a half choker for my dog and like yours he didn't give a shit about choking himself . 

I got a halti nose harness for him and he stopped pulling and I had uch more control over him . He'll hate the harness for a day or so but don't give in and take it off.  First time I went out with it we pretty much spent the whole time arguing with eachother until he accepted he had to wear it 

Kinky fuucker ?

2 hours ago, terryd said:

You might find a slip lead more subtle and you can take the wind out of his sails the second he thinks about it until he relaxes then slacken.Keep it nice and short just a foot or two assuming you have taught him not too pull. I wouldn't be tying him up out side shops either regardless

I use a half choker, would a slip lead be more effective? I keep him right up close but he'll still go mental and choke himself til it passes. He's amazing on the lead until another dog comes into sight.

2 hours ago, Caravan Monster said:

I've employed  Jim Greenwood when I was struggling with mine and his help was invaluable. I recently saw a friends large bedlington / greyhound that was dog aggressive come good, so it is possible.

Thank you, I'll give some of the suggestions here a go and if there's still no joy I'll see about calling in some pro help. Cheers!

2 hours ago, mushroom said:

Ok, I've read my old training manuals....

Get a big sheet of metal, lie it on bricks so that it doesn't earth. Put a fence or some barrier around it so the dog cannot escape. Attach the sheet to the mains with jump cables (make sure you have a breaker on the wire) put the dog in there.

Next enlist the assistance of someone with a dog. Bring the dog into play on the opp side of the fence. When your dog gets aggressive, flip the switch! 

You're welcome ;)

Problem solved. Permanently ?

3 hours ago, blackmaggie said:

It nothing to do with hunting instinct has I have more bother with fat labs and them shit your poos or whatever there called on walks is it when hes just on the lead or is it when hes running loose to without sounding bad he might be picking up on your nervous energy and making him worst try and stay calm and keep him calm if you can and  focused on you if a dog walks by but be prepared for a  long journey with ups and downs talk to casso or skycat on here I think socks as well all will give you sound advice on it 

You're dead right, as soon as another dog comes near, my blood's pumping too. I try not to react but they pick up on it. I use verbal commands when I see his heckles come up and he starts to growl but he's already in attack mode. I know balls to bones the problem is me not him, I just need to stop letting him get away with it by the sounds of it. Stop being so soft with him. 

1 hour ago, Welsh_red said:

I used a nose harness, clever fecker worked out if he backed up he could slip out of it! He hated it, I tried having two leads and collars but have up on the halti and just used the choker right up too behind his ears.

1 hour ago, Black neck said:

Has the dog ever tucked in to another dog when loose off the lead

Nah, he used to run off lead when he was a pup but he was gobby and a bull terrier rip him a new arse.