Dog aggression

Hi fellas,

I hope I'm in the right place. I don't work my boy, he's 5 and a great pet but he's a psycho on walks with other dogs. A few other lurcher owners have told me it's his hunting instinct and there's nothing I can do about it. I realise this might be a strange request here but I know you guys know more about this breed than anyone in the dog training scene. How can I get him to chill the f out on walks? Again, sorry if this isn't the right place but I thought it's worth a shot from one lurcher lover to another.

Thanks,

Emma.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Have you had this dog from a pup?   Have you any previous experience with dogs?  Probably best to contact an experienced trainer for 1-2-1 advice Jim Greenwood was mentioned.   Physically beating a st

Ok, I've read my old training manuals.... Get a big sheet of metal, lie it on bricks so that it doesn't earth. Put a fence or some barrier around it so the dog cannot escape. Attach the sheet to

Stimulation causes it’s own energy,  in other words when a dog is in a highly charged state you can either work with that energy or confront it , that’s  your two choices,  when I bring a pu

Posted Images

I had a similar problem with mine and messed about for a year or two giving it the old chicken and half hearted corrections. What sorted him in the end was to stop messing about and any time he kicked off or preferably before so it is easier just shut the dog down no nonsense using a slip lead in my case.  Being firm not cruel obviously. Every time he started to think about messing about he hit a brick wall and I just got back in after passing two huskies pulling like mad towards him by a couple of feet and he didn't budge. He may have wanted too but new he was wasting his time so job done. Don't over think it the dog is just acting up and needs to learn you wont except it.  Mine has been fine for months now and only took a week really

Edited by terryd
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
59 minutes ago, Fidolove said:

Hi fellas,

I hope I'm in the right place. I don't work my boy, he's 5 and a great pet but he's a psycho on walks with other dogs. A few other lurcher owners have told me it's his hunting instinct and there's nothing I can do about it. I realise this might be a strange request here but I know you guys know more about this breed than anyone in the dog training scene. How can I get him to chill the f out on walks? Again, sorry if this isn't the right place but I thought it's worth a shot from one lurcher lover to another.

Thanks,

Emma.

nothing to do with hunting instinct , my big dog Buck  is a  daft thing with people great with kids, and very good with other dogs, in fact i get dogs try to attack him, he just moves away from them, he dont want a fight , it dont want all that macho shit . But feck me on a wild animal be it a fox or big  deer =fallow , he would pile in   and lock on to them,  no prob, he like a different dog  in the hunting mode , and at  28in  85  lb,  if he did start on a dog,  he take some stopping  deff   :yes:    when your dog starts to play up, bloody hit him, crack him hard across his nose , it hurts a dog there , he soon thing   that hurt and think twice about fighting, if this not working , keep him muzzled  , or   have put down, it carnt be any pleasure with dog like that. i had kelipe x collie x grey bitch  that was  bad dog for fight any dog it seen, and ok with me but that was it , nobody was safe with her, she went for my wife and son, in the same week , so put her down end of the week , she was to dangerous to people  and nightmare  to take out .!! 

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, bird said:

nothing to do with hunting instinct , my big dog Buck  is a  daft thing with people great with kids, and very good with other dogs, in fact i get dogs try to attack him, he just moves away from them, he dont want a fight , it dont want all that macho shit . But feck me on a wild animal be it a fox or big  deer =fallow , he would pile in   and lock on to them,  no prob, he like a different dog  in the hunting mode , and at  28in  85  lb,  if he did start on a dog,  he take some stopping  deff   :yes:    when your dog starts to play up, bloody hit him, crack him hard across his nose , it hurts a dog there , he soon thing   that hurt and think twice about fighting, if this not working , keep him muzzled  , or   have put down, it carnt be any pleasure with dog like that. i had kelipe x collie x grey bitch  that was  bad dog for fight any dog it seen, and ok with me but that was it , nobody was safe with her, she went for my wife and son, in the same week , so put her down end of the week , she was to dangerous to people  and nightmare  to take out .!! 

He is a bloody brilliant family dog, it's be a shame to think about putting down. I think the giving him a good crack might just work. I have him on a half choker and he just strangles himself. He's always been a very anxious dog. It's a feckin shame, I had hoped of going on walks through valleys and up hills but I can't take the b*****d to the shops ?

It nothing to do with hunting instinct has I have more bother with fat labs and them shit your poos or whatever there called on walks is it when hes just on the lead or is it when hes running loose to without sounding bad he might be picking up on your nervous energy and making him worst try and stay calm and keep him calm if you can and  focused on you if a dog walks by but be prepared for a  long journey with ups and downs talk to casso or skycat on here I think socks as well all will give you sound advice on it 

Edited by blackmaggie
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Fidolove said:

He is a bloody brilliant family dog, it's be a shame to think about putting down. I think the giving him a good crack might just work. I have him on a half choker and he just strangles himself. He's always been a very anxious dog. It's a feckin shame, I had hoped of going on walks through valleys and up hills but I can't take the b*****d to the shops ?

You might find a slip lead more subtle and you can take the wind out of his sails the second he thinks about it until he relaxes then slacken.Keep it nice and short just a foot or two assuming you have taught him not too pull. I wouldn't be tying him up out side shops either regardless

Edited by terryd
  • Like 1

Ok, I've read my old training manuals....

Get a big sheet of metal, lie it on bricks so that it doesn't earth. Put a fence or some barrier around it so the dog cannot escape. Attach the sheet to the mains with jump cables (make sure you have a breaker on the wire) put the dog in there.

Next enlist the assistance of someone with a dog. Bring the dog into play on the opp side of the fence. When your dog gets aggressive, flip the switch! 

You're welcome ;)

Edited by mushroom
  • Haha 4
  • Confused 1
22 minutes ago, mushroom said:

Ok, I've read my old training manuals....

Get a big sheet of metal, lie it on bricks so that it doesn't earth. Put a fence or some barrier around it so the dog cannot escape. Attach the sheet to the mains with jump cables (make sure you have a breaker on the wire) put the dog in there.

Next enlist the assistance of someone with a dog. Bring the dog into play on the opp side of the fence. When your dog gets aggressive, flip the switch! 

You're welcome ;)

Also works for jump training

• Haha 1
Just now, blackmaggie said:

You recovered from last night I see then mush 

Nope I just continued.. Tomorrow, apparently I'm supposed to go skiing and work at the same time.... I'm not even sure tomorrow exists right now ?