RABBIT NUMBERS

On 1/1/2018 at 13:23, The one said:

Im sure the 70 where great rabbit years apart from remembering ferreting in a t shirt  ive a few good memories it comes in cycles like everything else you just got to weather it  a lot have already packed in and sold there gear , Is it going to be like the myxi when the rabbit numbers came back only a few had ferrets and some from pet homes ? who knows time will tell 

I like your optimism here,....(& hope your right !)

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Its no even worth the bother of getting into trouble for pheasants as you can get them given to you for free now days 

It's sad to see. The very same thing is happening here in Ireland, and thing is, there aint a dalm thing we can do about it. Where will we be in another ten or twenty years? Will there be any good rab

I can remember certain places we knew as hotspots, in particular, one private park, we ferreted it every Sunday without fail, it was nowt to see 5 or 6 hundred rabbits out and about, the place was mov

Just now, The one said:

Its no even worth the bother of getting into trouble for pheasants as you can get them given to you for free now days 

No fun in that tho..I like the idea of “ if I get caught I’m getting a good hiding “ lol 

i no what you mean tho shoots are giving them away . However if I’m 100% honest I just love creeping about with a 410/air rifle trying get acouple of birds ,I’d much rather spend half a night walking creeping round a wood trying to bag my self acouple of birds than have some keeper giv3 me as many as I can carry .....

On 1/1/2018 at 14:20, Rabid said:

I can remember certain places we knew as hotspots, in particular, one private park, we ferreted it every Sunday without fail, it was nowt to see 5 or 6 hundred rabbits out and about, the place was moving.

our best day was 362 rabbits, we were all shattered after that day.

sadly I had a little walk around it last year and saw 3 rabbits.

A few more spots have gone the same way, unsure if it's hunting pressure, Mixy, land management or what, but certainly not the amount about.

Now I have a bit of ground, my attitude has changed towards them, I only keep the numbers in check,  once upon a time I would have been out ferreting, shooting and long netting day and night to clear them out, but I try and preserve certain areas, it's nice to know I can walk out with the rifle and get a couple when I need them.

Definitely the right way to approach  it, i would say,.. the way things are going  ?

Love going out for a walk  with the dogs  but these days everybody is watching you you just got to be so careful and first sign of trouble you loose your gun tickets its like the police give you your gun tickets then hold you to ransom 

• Like 1

Don't know ,  i see big changes from when i was younger and what we where allowed to do compared to my son doing a bit now  More roe deer than rabbits about  and folk paying to shoot a good head  dont want anybody else touching anything on the ground  , its only going to get worse 

33 minutes ago, W. Katchum said:

Fcuk there gun ticket haha who needs a gun?? An air rifle is perfect for pheasant an dog for the legal quarry haha I’m a rather ask forgiveness than permission type a guy haha 

still Ll a few rabbits about up here but if it keeps getting raped it won’t last long tbh it’s nowt compared to 15 odd years ago I come here, dread to think what it be like in another 15 for my lads but I’m sure they find summat to keep em busy haha?

Get him a decent bred bull . Keep him busy ...?

33 minutes ago, The one said:

Don't know ,  i see big changes from when i was younger and what we where allowed to do compared to my son doing a bit now  More roe deer than rabbits about  and folk paying to shoot a good head  dont want anybody else touching anything on the ground  , its only going to get worse 

Yea plenty of lads saying there more deer about than rabbits.to be honest when I’m out on the lamp I run whatever I want life’s to short to be worrying about what the police/tree huggers say. Same as with the gun I’ve always taken my  gun ticket with a lighthearted approach as unfortunatly every time I go out I no I can lose it so I kinda expected it ..It’s funny because I’ve alwas respected landowners property anD stay away from the farms But if I saw a pheasant in a tree in farmers front garden you bet I’d try go get it, permission or  not ?

5 minutes ago, W. Katchum said:

They always find summat or other to keep em busy :rofl:

C7F336BC-3A3D-409B-9732-C420B9850BD1.thumb.jpeg.b9584336f0ec9ded8d76af1d600afe76.jpegDCBB6568-3CBE-4BFA-945B-CE02C2C6A8D5.thumb.jpeg.3d0c531ebd0980217b3ae4d5a485331c.jpeg

A PLUMBER !!! Everyone knows they don’t work lol 

cant beat abit of fun with a terrier no mater how old you are but when I was a kid I had some great fun ( and a couple good hidings) with my mum dads staff ..

1 minute ago, W. Katchum said:

They already been caught wandering out a bounds mate an that’s just the once they was seek? could be worse things he doing so who am I to stop him ?

That’s it mate .if old bill bring my lad home for been somewhere he shouldn’t with dog I’d just laugh it off ..or ask him what he got lol 

better than  sat on a computer melting his brain or on a street corner wearing a full matching tracksuit acting like a plastic gangster scoring drugs 

3 hours ago, Navek said:

Get him a decent bred bull . Keep him busy ...?

Even walking a decent bred bull can draw the wrong kind of attention , I got a collie cross and everybody's fascinated by the merel colour the don't know she's a lurcher or what she does  ,times are changing 

I was saying to everyone around here about the lack of rabbits. Nobody believed me. Now they all bought airguns and ferrets thinking it was like it was when we were kids. They soon realised. Hate to say I told you so. It's very sad though I don't see them lasting much longer. 

When I was a kid you would go out all day for a brace of rabbits or a really good day might be four around here, so could be going round in cycles. Three years ago maybe average of say 12 or so with a good day in the low 20's, last year bit of a drop average 9 or 10 and a good day 15. This year average maybe 6 or 7 and the best good day so far 9. We had that RHD on two farms and the trouble is there is a green lane going through them and I think the dirt bikes and horses are spreading the virus around its very very contagious, it can stay active in the soil for nine months. So if a rabbit moves back in it will die and the nine months starts again. A couple of years ago I could watch rabbits across the valley with my bins, used to ferret there when i was a kid its deader than dead now not a sign, you would think maybe 1 or 2, all gone. I'm still finding a few but having to do stuff I used to leave big 10 foot wide black thorn hedges four stands of barb wire each and the rabbits don't want to leave the hedge, big patches of cover where your worried the ferret might sneak out of a hole you haven't found. 

Cheers Arry