Longer is quieter.

Been out today checking zero .22 rimy the farmer brought along his .22 to do the same,he said whilst zeroing that my silencer was not as quiet as his, we were both using the same ammo,my rifle is a CZ 452 and his a bruno,so I put my silencer on his bruno but his gun was still shooting surprisingly quieter than mine even with my silencer fitted and still as quiet as with his, the only difference with the two rifles was the barrel length my CZ is 16" and his not having a tape measure handy at the time was around 22.5",to cut this story short I decided to look this up and found out that a longer barrel has a reduced exit gas pressure bang and the shorter barrel a larger end exit pressure bang but as both are ammo was subsonic the sound difference despite having the same moderator on was very surprising,this surprised me as I always assumed that it was the moderator that did all the suppressing,something to consider if I decide to purchase a new .22 rimy. (P/S we tried are rifles without a moderator fitted but still the 22..5" barrel was significantly quieter).

4 minutes ago, goldfinger said:

Probably someone on here will be able to explain more professionally on this subject than me, I was today very surprised with difference in sound between the two rifles.  

Yes!  It's due to the barrel choke being further away from your ear on the longer barrel!  Put your ear next to the choke of both barrels and I doubt you'll notice the difference... :angel:

Edited by foxtrotoscar