How to Build a Larsen Trap

• 1 year later...

Heres a link for anyone wanting to construct their own trap HERE

Many thanks for the trap plans. very clear and easily understood, I have been after plans like this for ages, just ordered some springs from John Bryan at fourteenacre Ltd, he has them made for the job for a couple of quid. look out maggie.

• 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...

hi all

i have a larsen trap in my garden, i brought it from trapman as a second, it traps a load of magpies, however i find that after a short while the magpies lose interest in it, ive tired moving around the garden and placing a decoy mag in the garden to no result, the trap has been set off twice. have the local mag's found out it's a trap??

help please

chris

• 5 months later...

Ian or anyone who might be able to help ,I have built a few larsens and have used springs that are either weak in quality or weak in strenghth anyone know were to buy a decent set of springs from thanks

I've never had any problems with the ones I use and sell.

As you mention having frequent issues with the springs it's worth pointing out that they have to be fitted the right way. They need to be already under tension when the door is closed and fitted so that as the door is set open, it winds the coil up more.

I'm not saying that you are fitting yours incorrectly, but thought it was worth a mention. thumbs.gif

post-2748-091805800 1278618665_thumb.jpg

post-2748-051821000 1278618683_thumb.jpg

post-2748-000586900 1278619120_thumb.jpg

<BR>Ian or anyone who might be able to help ,I have built a few larsens and have used springs that are either weak in quality or weak in strenghth anyone know were to buy a decent set of springs from thanks<BR>
Hi bud i have some in the shed will look them out tomorrow.Send you a few pics.If it,s what your looking for you can have them free. Edited by Catcher 1

Thanks John for your quick reply I will have a look on your site ta mate

I've never had any problems with the ones I use and sell.

As you mention having frequent issues with the springs it's worth pointing out that they have to be fitted the right way. They need to be already under tension when the door is closed and fitted so that as the door is set open, it winds the coil up more.

I'm not saying that you are fitting yours incorrectly, but thought it was worth a mention. thumbs.gif

post-2748-091805800 1278618665_thumb.jpg

post-2748-051821000 1278618683_thumb.jpg

post-2748-000586900 1278619120_thumb.jpg

<BR>
<BR>Brilliant mate,thanks for your generosity, let me know how much you want for the postage,packing  etc and I will sort you out <BR>Thanks<BR>
Nothing mate if you want them i will cover it class=bbc_emoticon alt=:thumbs: src="http://www.thehuntinglife.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/thumbs.gif"><BR>
Are these any good bud.Got six you can have.

post-34669-080698600 1278683727_thumb.jpg

Edited by Catcher 1

Catcher 1 thanks for the offer bud,They are a differnt type of spring to the one that I need,thanks again for your kind offer

Fourteen acre has them In stock .I have just ordered some,

many thanks

Catcher 1 thanks for the offer bud,They are a differnt type of spring to the one that I need,thanks again for your kind offer

Fourteen acre has them In stock .I have just ordered some,

many thanks

No probs akton anytimethumbs.gif

• 4 months later...

I build mine out of 12-14gauge 1"x1" wire and crimp the sheets together. Overall it makes a 30" x30" sized trap with it being 14" tall. I get the crimps from moncaster wire and the springs I try to get have longer tails than average larsen springs, it just makes them easier to attach to the trap.