Who bred the first ever bull grey????

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

lord Orford 1700's.......lol mind bull lurchers being mentioned in old books I read as a kid, written long before 80's

People who are interested in hunting and it's history, that's who. Folk who take up hunting for two weeks before moving onto something else tend to not have any pride in it's history and traditio

A bloke called Whin in Scotland bred the first of every type of Lurcher 

Posted Images

20 hours ago, neil cooney said:

There you go. Czarina I think her name was was a prominent brood who was a fighting dog cross and Fullerton was from her and is in the blood of every greyhound alive to this day. The question should be "when did the bull cross become popular ?".

Ted Walsh has photos of Staff cross lurchers in his famous book from the 70s. However, a friend of mine bred a litter in 90 and out of 9 pups he put down 3 because everyone thought he was mad and the pups were not wanted. Two of the litter went to a lad who killed over 90 foxes with them in their first season and then everyone wanted them.. So IMO the bull cross lurcher has only been popular here in Ireland since the early 90s.

JMHO.

Imo they became more popular when a few men started peddling bulldogs off their imports, more bulldogs = more chance of using one.

over here in the 90's mind seeing a good few "strong terrier x greyhounds" advertised

53 minutes ago, stevemac said:

Bulldog was breed into greyhounds in the 1800s they ere not called bull greys and were bred back to greyhounds. who Knows really

We all know that lord Orford put bull terrier into greyhounds at a later stage in them , and as the storybooks will say it gave the bull terrier colours in all there after and to this day , brindle, whites , etc etc 

There are a lot of doubts over wether Lord Orford did add bulldog into his line of coursing dogs which reached its pinnacle In Czarina. No actual records exist of her breeding. Orford, like many, was known to be loose with the truth when it can to self publication. He did however start the first coursing club at Swaffham. So if the myth IS true, its them bull x lads that have brought about this bloody ban.:thumbs:

Edited by trenchfoot
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2
1 hour ago, trenchfoot said:

There are a lot of doubts over wether Lord Orford did add bulldog into his line of coursing dogs which reached its pinnacle In Czarina. No actual records exist of her breeding. Orford, like many, was known to be loose with the truth when it can to self publication. He did however start the first coursing club at Swaffham. So if the myth IS true, its them bull x lads that have brought about this bloody ban.:thumbs:

Another.lier in the dog  find that hard to believe ????

• Like 1
30 minutes ago, neil cooney said:

People who are interested in hunting and it's history, that's who.

Folk who take up hunting for two weeks before moving onto something else tend to not have any pride in it's history and tradition.

That’s incorrect mate I bet there’s loads of lads who to be honest couldn’t give a monkeys about the past history or tradition of hunting it changes nothing of the present time lads will still be out grafting there dogs without know the history or tradition of it.....it’s called history for a reason it’s all foundation of lies to sell stories to the gullible enough to read them 

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, poxon said:

That’s incorrect mate I bet there’s loads of lads who to be honest couldn’t give a monkeys about the past history or tradition of hunting it changes nothing of the present time lads will still be out grafting there dogs without know the history or tradition of it.....it’s called history for a reason it’s all foundation of lies to sell stories to the gullible enough to read them 

Well said mate 

• Like 1
4 hours ago, poxon said:

As a young man I too used to think like that. And then I went on to make the same mistakes many of my forbears did. And they didn't want to listen either. Old heads on young shoulders are prized for good reason. 

Some traditions may belong in the history books, but there are others, that some lads (and they ain't all young) have no comprehension of. And it is those differences that differentiate true sporting dog men and just men with sporting dogs. And we all pay the price

• Like 3
5 hours ago, poxon said:

And quote them 

• Like 2