Jump to content
IanB

Rabbits with HMR

Recommended Posts

Back to the HMR, I hate them :whistling: But as a long (ish) range rabbit or occasional short range fox rifle, they are an effective (if noisy ) tool, I have never noticed any great spoiling of meat on rabbits with an HMR  I just far prefer the .22wmr in semi auto form, (which I also accept is noisy) but using the 30 grain vmax bullets, very impressive on Charly  out to 100 yards or so. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Have been so tempted to go the automatic rout with WMR but have resisted so far.

Personally, after years of center fire use the noise from WMR I don't get fussed over. Certain weather conditions can make it seem loud but in all honesty 100yds away it is next to nothing.

Crack on lads while you can, old age will slow you down before the antis and if they should have their way, remember my words of wisdom, get a muzzloader!

 

U.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
5 hours ago, Underdog said:

 remember my words of wisdom, get a muzzloader!

Gunmakers and engineers Spent a great deal of time, and energy designing the breechloader so that  guns would be more efficient a quicker to reload for use on driven shoots. Muzzleloading is ok for fun and reenactment but it's like going back to horse and cart. A novelty but so last century. Still why stop there? We could go back to bow and arrowslingshot.

 

 

 

U.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
9 hours ago, charlie caller said:

Back to the HMR, I hate them :whistling: But as a long (ish) range rabbit or occasional short range fox rifle, they are an effective (if noisy ) tool, I have never noticed any great spoiling of meat on rabbits with an HMR  I just far prefer the .22wmr in semi auto form, (which I also accept is noisy) but using the 30 grain vmax bullets, very impressive on Charly  out to 100 yards or so. 

I bought a .22 Hornet awhile ago with the intention of using it for rabbit/fox to replace the HMR. Whilst its a super accurate round, and to me has a duller crack than a HMR, its not practical to reload the ammunition in the quantities I need to without cracking up... its far easier for me to just grab a box of HMR ammo and know its going to give me flat shooting out to 120yd-150yd at night, then no reloading issues and at £12 a box local there cheap if your going through a couple of hundred rounds a week easy.. 

A lot ditch HMR's and swap them for Hornets, there great guns for rabbits and fox, great knock down power in comparision to a HMR and really accurate, I've been using 40gr vmax in mine and they punch ragged one hole groups at 100yds., but like I say continual bulk reloading is painfull...

 

How much are WMR rounds?

Share this post


Link to post

Absolutely, bring back hunting with archery gear yes please. I miss it so much.

So what your saying is that in the countries where bow hunting is practiced they are a backward thinking lot?

 

Interestingly, as for being able to shoot more head of game in a day than I can personally handle I am no longer interested in and it is also interesting how nowadays due to the mass shooting of game capabilities of modern guns the market is saturated with game meat to the point game is being buried!

 

I will stick with my old ways as when I carry a bird or two to my home to be prepped and cooked by me I can hold my head high and not feel like a mass murderer:)

Oh on the point of countless hours spent on developing breech loaders does not in itself make it better.

For instance, hours were spent developing mustard gas for the first world war. However it's justification to be used since has been strongly discouraged. In other words, just because it exists does not mean it should be used!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
16 minutes ago, IanB said:

I bought a .22 Hornet awhile ago with the intention of using it for rabbit/fox to replace the HMR. Whilst its a super accurate round, and to me has a duller crack than a HMR, its not practical to reload the ammunition in the quantities I need to without cracking up... its far easier for me to just grab a box of HMR ammo and know its going to give me flat shooting out to 120yd-150yd at night, then no reloading issues and at £12 a box local there cheap if your going through a couple of hundred rounds a week easy.. 

A lot ditch HMR's and swap them for Hornets, there great guns for rabbits and fox, great knock down power in comparision to a HMR and really accurate, I've been using 40gr vmax in mine and they punch ragged one hole groups at 100yds., but like I say continual bulk reloading is painfull...

 

How much are WMR rounds?

£13-£16x 50 buddy.

Share this post


Link to post
38 minutes ago, Underdog said:

Absolutely, bring back hunting with archery gear yes please. I miss it so much.

So what your saying is that in the countries where bow hunting is practiced they are a backward thinking lot?

 

Interestingly, as for being able to shoot more head of game in a day than I can personally handle I am no longer interested in and it is also interesting how nowadays due to the mass shooting of game capabilities of modern guns the market is saturated with game meat to the point game is being buried!

 

I will stick with my old ways as when I carry a bird or two to my home to be prepped and cooked by me I can hold my head high and not feel like a mass murderer:)

Oh on the point of countless hours spent on developing breech loaders does not in itself make it better.

For instance, hours were spent developing mustard gas for the first world war. However it's justification to be used since has been strongly discouraged. In other words, just because it exists does not mean it should be used!

I was only flying you up for a bit of sport, entertainment and getting the rise.  :air_kiss:

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
8 minutes ago, Meece said:

I was only flying you up for a bit of sport, entertainment and getting the rise.  :air_kiss:

Still want to use a bow.... legally :p

  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Guest Navek
On 02/01/2018 at 08:57, Deker said:

:laugh: I was going to bring that up myself, (I get this was a little light baiting), seems every time I mention the HMR (or .22LR) which I take a lot of foxes with, I get a lecture from those that tell me it doesn't work! :laugh:

017a.thumb.jpg.340219a5bf450ad51d46e36a86ae7b26.jpg

Here's some more the HMR didn't work on! :hmm::laugh::thumbs:

 

Anyway, this thread is wondering, and I accept a level of it is my fault.  ATB!

Is it just me or is that the wrapper of a packet of harry bow star mix 😂

Share this post


Link to post
Guest Navek
On 01/01/2018 at 01:02, foxtrotoscar said:

Well if this isn't "mixy" I must be full of crap!:cray: 

mixy.jpg

I’ve had rabbits caught by dog where there eyes are closed and looked puffed on one side ..also had it when I head shot with 22lr 

the eye lids don’t look at all swollen or pink or sore or any hair loss.dont look feck all like mixy 

Share this post


Link to post

Its a  interesting subject ,I owned a HMR & found it to be a great tack driving caliber.I shot alot of rabbits with mine but   also  found it could be unreliable in the wind & being a magnum round  LOUD even when a suppressor was fitted .In stating  this Id still buy another as they are a great killing round for rimfire  .The case is based on a .22 mag round necked down to .17 ,even the mack .17 is a step up from the normal .22 & are also a great killing round .

Edited by toolebox

Share this post


Link to post
9 hours ago, Navek said:

Is it just me or is that the wrapper of a packet of harry bow star mix 😂

You're ahead of me there, but it could well be, those were taken on a school playing field! :thumbs:

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, Deker said:

You're ahead of me there, but it could well be, those were taken on a school playing field! :thumbs:

Bet the kids loved that :thumbs:

Share this post


Link to post
Guest Navek
20 hours ago, Underdog said:

Still want to use a bow.... legally :p

WAIT !! What !! Bow hunting in England is illegal??? Well no fecker told me that 😂

Share this post


Link to post

Next he'll be telling us fishing with dynamite is illegal.  :hmm:

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×