.22 Long accuracy

I tried some .22 long 'z' last spring on a smallholding as there were horses around, as they are very quiet, I thought they'd be less chance of scaring them, however, 3" to 4" groups at 50 yds made them worse than useless.

I found they were reasonable at up to 30 yds with a sub 1" group only after that they seemed to tumble and open up the groups massively, 1 1/2" at 40 yds etc.

Still have a pack for ultra close range stuff. Supposed energy is 30 to 32 ftlb at the muzzle but a .22 pellet is far more stable and accurate at that power.

Glad I never bought a brick of them haha

• Like 1

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

That's one of the beauties of the .22. They're much cheaper to feed. Saying that the price has more than doubled in ten years. I can get 5250 rounds of Federal Champions for $262 (£185) which is still

I bought a box of federal classic hv hollowpoints to try, mainly because they were only four quid. Well, they were as accurate as any hollowpoints I’ve used. Just goes to show it’s worth trying a box

The question was about .22 LONG, not .22LR, there is a difference, which appears to have been missed by several posting here!  

6 hours ago, Premier Pistol said:

I tried some .22 long 'z' last spring on a smallholding as there were horses around, as they are very quiet, I thought they'd be less chance of scaring them, however, 3" to 4" groups at 50 yds made them worse than useless.

I found they were reasonable at up to 30 yds with a sub 1" group only after that they seemed to tumble and open up the groups massively, 1 1/2" at 40 yds etc.

Still have a pack for ultra close range stuff. Supposed energy is 30 to 32 ftlb at the muzzle but a .22 pellet is far more stable and accurate at that power.

I make more noise around horses, that way they don't spook when idiot let the loudest fireworks they can find at midnight or a thunderstorm settles like the one that often settles over our house!

8 hours ago, Premier Pistol said:

It needs a bit of a of a sort out because the round is capable of good accuracy out at 100 yards. I shoot target rifle at 25, 50 and 100 mtr. The round does drop poi which needs to be  ádjusted for on the sights for elevation but the group accuracy  holds good.  I would  fix the rifle in a worķmate or something and fire a 5 shot group on a target. This would give an indicatìon of bullet and barrel performance. And take it from there.

When I had my 22lr the lad in the shop sold me a pack of RWS said they were as good as the Winchester I tried them for a bit they were ok .not great but just ok .. I whent shooting with my brother an£ his 22lr using them and they were shit .. I would hit more if I’d used them in a catapult.

2 hours ago, Meece said:

It needs a bit of a of a sort out because the round is capable of good accuracy out at 100 yards. I shoot target rifle at 25, 50 and 100 mtr. The round does drop poi which needs to be  ádjusted for on the sights for elevation but the group accuracy  holds good.  I would  fix the rifle in a worķmate or something and fire a 5 shot group on a target. This would give an indicatìon of bullet and barrel performance. And take it from there.

To be honest the gun was fitted with a bipod and sitting on a brick built coal bunker, a workmate wouldnt have been any more stable.

The .22 long is about as recoiless as you can get so I dont think it was gun related? Besides, i soon settled on the rifles favourite diet of fiocchi .22LR subsonics and thats all it will really get used in it until I can no longer buy that ammo

That all sounds about right.  You've covererd a lot there.  The next thing I would do is check to see if anything is loose like the scope or mounts and that the barrel is either fully floated or fully bedded.  If the barrel is free floating, get a sheet of paper and wrap it round the barrel and slid it down between the wood and barrel to see if there are any touching spots.  If there are any touches the wood can be removed so that the barrel is free. Make sure that the screws that hold the action to the wood are tight and recheck the float clearance. Clean the bolt. Get a container and imerse the bolt in petrol. Shake it about. Sometimes there is a lot of bullet grease lube and bits of brass that clog the bolt. Then retest for poi and group. If this doesn't work, the next thing is to clean thoroughly and  I mean thoughly clean the bore. Get a phosphor bronze brush on a rod and use Ed's red solvent and scrub the bore for 5mins or so. Get a box of rizzla filter tips and repeat several times. Then test shoot again. Sometimes it might take as many as 50 rounds to settle down to a constant poi. If it is still the same problem try a different round trade it in or use it as a fence stake

Edited by Meece
  • 4 weeks later...

It depends if they suit your barrel. The rws z lang are accurate enough to hit a 45mm metal disc at 70 yards from my Anschutz. They run at about 47-48 ft lbs out of the 14 inch barrel. Other barrels, they may not suit. The only way to find out is to try them. The same rifle is terrible with cci segmented, where other rifles work well with these.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, ChrisJones said:

Federal Premiums and American Eagle feed well in my 10/22. I've had issues with CCI as well.

I bought a box of federal classic hv hollowpoints to try, mainly because they were only four quid. Well, they were as accurate as any hollowpoints I’ve used. Just goes to show it’s worth trying a box because you might get lucky. One thing about .22 rimfire, you can give them a try, if they’re crap in your gun it won’t break the bank. I’ve tried all sorts over the years, from B.B. caps, and shorts to yellow jackets, stingers, xpediters etc.

• Like 2
22 hours ago, Rimfireboy! said:

I bought a box of federal classic hv hollowpoints to try, mainly because they were only four quid.

That's one of the beauties of the .22. They're much cheaper to feed. Saying that the price has more than doubled in ten years. I can get 5250 rounds of Federal Champions for $262 (£185) which is still plenty.

• Like 2

From my experience:

Winchester Super X: Accurate, big hollow point so good stopping power.

Eley subs: Extremely accurate, not as consistent at stopping chest shot bunnies as the Winnie’s... but then you’ll be headshooting more.

CCI subs: Inconsistent shite.

Unusual best in my Sako Finnfire Varmint 16"bbl, GECO solid 42gr, target ammo but oh dear 5 shot single hole groups at 50 yds,

bipod plus bench though!

Not suggesting hunting with these. I do and they're ok, but their worst sin is they ricochet VERY BADLY.

Other than that I use Winchester Subs, RWS Subs and Eley Subs.  On the HV front I have yet to better the Velocitor they are

in the same zone as the GECO, but potentially annoy the 'neighbours' so don't get used very often.

AF

• Like 1