Pets and animals v's ticks and mites

I am in Australia so I have no knowledge on this particular subject as it stands in the UK, over here is has recently been a big problem on farms and for those going out into the field with working animals or living on the land with pets.

We are in our Summer and most of the country is getting its usual dry stretch, this is when ticks seem to thrive and attach themselves to any animal strolling past, people too, so there is more in the media and forums about the effects of ticks, cost of Vet care, and loss of animals, illness of humans.

One particular tick here in the New South Wales bush near water ways, produces an effect that makes the host person allergic to meat proteins forever, so people have to stop eating red meats or get VERY sick as a result. Property in those area's has actually fallen in value as the tick issue increases, lovely waterfront real-estate with $1million+ houses.

I was wondering if these little blood suckers are so much of a problem in the UK ?

If so where are the worst places for them, and are they seasonal ?

Then how do you guys (and ladies) deal with them ?