Butchers

Ever since I was a kid iv wanted to be a butcher! 

A friend of mine sold his pest control business and it's got me thinking how if I sold mine I could open a butchers shop. Has anyone here got any experience of opening or running a butchers? 

Iv skinned a few thousand horses, cows and calves. Iv butchered deer and a couple of pigs and processed a fair bit of poultry........but I'm not soft enough to think I can do it myself. I know I will need to do some courses.....im even thinking I'll need to employ a butcher or find a business partner who is an up and coming butcher. 

I'm just loosing my passion for pest control and the more I think about it the more I come up with positives rather than road blocks. 

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

One near here does well. Family business with their own on site abattoir, so people from the villages prefer to use them because they know the lamb, beef and most of the pork is locally grown. They ar

Cheers pal.  Iv got an opportunity to go and spend some time with a good butcher now......so I will have a play at it for a while.  My sticking point is always going to be finding a premises

What about starting with a market stall i buy most of my meat off one. He is a farmer and his beef is his own Dexter and Devon's proper beef. I think a lot of people would like to know what breed it i

Butchers not so far away from me offers a master butchers class

http://www.butchers-shop.com/buy-online/butcher-course.htm

Quite a few courses around,theres a geezer at Kempton park market sells meat from a big freezer van,makes a killing at this time of year,saying that its not just this time of year,theres always a crowd around him but he has the spiel,good luck if you go for it.

• Like 1

i know one or 2 butchers and none of them seem short of a bob or 2. i think it would be easy enough  to do and i deffinatly think you would need to have another experienced butcher with you to start with until you get use to things, mainly to make sure you start of providing a decent quality of meat. as with everything once you have gained a little experience then your good to go it on your own if needed.

shop location would be impotant, to set up from scratch would be bloody expensive.

We have a row of shops a butchers bakers and greengrocer's, about 2 year ago right opposite them a sainsbury local opened resulting in grocer closing, leaving both butchers and bakers struggling for business.

A mobile type of business might be the way to go.

Good luck 

I think supermarkets did shut a lot of butchers......but I do think people are coming back to them. Our village lost both its butchers during the rise of the supermarkets but all the butchers in local villages have reopened and are thriving. 

I noticed in summer a local butcher doing bbq packs, advertising on Facebook.......i counted 75 orders in the comment section......at £40 each! I think with concentrating on local meat and game it would be good. I have lots of contacts with restaurants having done their pest control for years. Contacts with local farms and estates. 

The problem is location. Our village has nowhere suitable. It's now a small town and it would work. But it needs parking! People must be able to park outside and nip in. If they have to walk 500m they will park on tesco express and shop there. So my alternative is the next town.....which doesn't float my boat in the same way. There are lots of new butchers there (which are all really busy) but it's just not getting me excited as having somewhere in the village/small town iv grown up in. 

• Like 1