My first pike

Had a trip to glasson dock armed with some herring and writhin a couple of hours I bagged myself my first pike. 

I called over another fisherman and he shown me the correct way to handle the fish for unhooking. (Beer owned)?

Unfortunately I don't have any scales so I don't no the weight altho I'm pretty certain it's over double figures. . 

Anyway guys thanks for looking and enjoy the pic. 

DSC_0003_2.JPG

• Like 15

12 hours ago, 8shot said:

Had a trip to glasson dock armed with some herring and writhin a couple of hours I bagged myself my first pike. 

I called over another fisherman and he shown me the correct way to handle the fish for unhooking. (Beer owned)?

Unfortunately I don't have any scales so I don't no the weight altho I'm pretty certain it's over double figures. . 

Anyway guys thanks for looking and enjoy the pic. 

DSC_0003_2.JPG

was you fishing the mouth of the canal 

• Like 1
42 minutes ago, 8shot said:

That was my first time bud. ?

ok i used to fish it alot . i you cast to the right of that slipway on oposite side at the mouth of canal or if that big boat there get your rods tight to it .lamprey is a good bait on there. also big jerkbaits do well . just a few pointers for you .i aint fished it for a while . average depth is about 15ft and around 10 near mouth of canal

Edited by toby63
  • Thanks 1
5 minutes ago, toby63 said:

ok i used to fish it alot . i you cast to the right of that slipway on oposite side at the mouth of canal or if that big boat there get your rods tight to it .lamprey is a good bait on there. also big jerkbaits do well . just a few pointers for you .i aint fished it for a while . average depth is about 15ft and around 10 near mouth of canal

Good man thanks for the advice.. I was fishing the right hand side of the slipway and popped a herring right in front of a converted life boat.. . A lad called Keith who was there with his dad helped me out.. also chatting his old man said I could go ferreting with him as have no land up here at all. 

• Like 1
On 11/12/2017 at 13:09, 8shot said:

Good man thanks for the advice.. I was fishing the right hand side of the slipway and popped a herring right in front of a converted life boat.. . A lad called Keith who was there with his dad helped me out.. also chatting his old man said I could go ferreting with him as have no land up here at all. 

Can't be bad, got your first pike and a decent one at that, and an invite for ferreting, guess you were using the right bait eh :thumbs:

Tidy job well done 

• Like 1
On 11/12/2017 at 07:38, toby63 said:

was you fishing the mouth of the canal 

When I used to fish there I used to put one rod across to the boats on the other side and drop one straight down off the rod top on a sunken float paternoster rigged big herring right at the corner of the canal/basin . Had pike to 20 from there and loads of other doubles but strangely only ever had one jack 

• Like 1