On 12/15/2017 at 09:54, Born Hunter said:

TBH mate, anything past 150 with even the 17 is starting to push the limits. 200 is very doable but it's usually unnecessary, as you can almost always get into 150 or 100. The exception seems to be crows sat out in the middle of 100 acres of winter wheat, LOL. But for rabbits, >150 is usually just an excuse to say you have.

If you genuinely need a regular 200 yard rifle then you probably want to think about a small centre-fire.

If you're wanting a 200yd rifle then you should be thinking about a hornet in .17 or .22. That said, it becomes an expensive rabbiting tool.

Cheapest option is along your current lines combined with some thought as to how you can narrow the distance.

• Like 2

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

TBH mate, anything past 150 with even the 17 is starting to push the limits. 200 is very doable but it's usually unnecessary, as you can almost always get into 150 or 100. The exception seems to be cr

These bunnies were were shot with my CZ .17 if you hit them in the head they don't resemble Road kill but a body shot I get where Meece is coming from I've owned mine for 8 years from new I love it th

If we're only talking small game of rabbit size then do you really think the increased bullet weight of the 22mag over the 17 has any significant effect. The fast and frangible 17 is devastating imo.

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Alsone said:

If you're wanting a 200yd rifle then you should be thinking about a hornet in .17 or .22. That said, it becomes an expensive rabbiting tool.

Cheapest option is along your current lines combined with some thought as to how you can narrow the distance.

Very good advise there Aslone.

• Like 1
On 12/7/2017 at 22:07, Melpti said:

I am interested in views on.17 v .22 rim fire 

Many people complain about the noise from the HMR compared with quiet subsonic LR rounds.  Although there is no way around the supersonic crack as it leaves the barrel, I've found using a .17 specific moderator such as this one I have, reduces the noise to a whip crack and many times rabbits will stick around whilst their mate cops it.  I've tried many mods and this is by far the best I've owned. Something to consider when buying a gun for rabbits as often you want to shot them in quick succession. 

hausken.jpg

On 15/12/2017 at 09:36, Melpti said:

I think I am actually sold on the .17 HMR for its flatter trajectory and hitting power. I hope I am making the right decision. Any comments would be appreciated.

On my permissions I would not be shooting more the 150-200yards. I thought that the .17 was the best option but you have given me food for thought. I don't think my police firearms officer will thank me for changing my mind too often.

Imo .22 rim-fire is  far more versatile than the .17 hmr I have both and both have there place, yes the .17 has a flatter trajectory but the downsides are noise and cost of ammo,the small round is very influenced by wind at distance,as for the .22 this is very cheep to feed and extremely quiet and an absolute joy to use,my .17 is saved for pure pest control days up to 150 mtrs on a good calm night/day only which at times are not very common,nearly all my shots are around 40-80 mtrs range on bunny's at these distances the .22 with winy's 42grn bullet is the dogs nuts. 

• Thanks 1

With HMR just ensure the round has left the barrel after every shot by watching for the impact or inspecting the chamber if in doubt (from the breach end!!!!) or on an unloaded and made safe gun that's been triple cycled and verified safe if using a rod from the barrel end. Also worth inspecting the block of ammo for split casings after purchase.

4 hours ago, Alsone said:

With HMR just ensure the round has left the barrel after every shot by watching for the impact or inspecting the chamber if in doubt (from the breach end!!!!) or on an unloaded and made safe gun that's been triple cycled and verified safe if using a rod from the barrel end. Also worth inspecting the block of ammo for split casings after purchase.

Yes I agree!  Here are the split cases I found in this batch of Hornady .17 HMR. Around 10%!  Also as Walshie posted, watch out for squib rounds, one I removed from the barrel is at the bottom of the photo.

20160413_102919.jpg

Edited by foxtrotoscar
2 hours ago, Underdog said:

Never had a duff round in 22wmr!

Do you mouse gun users have to return the dodgy ammo for a refund?

U:laugh:

The RFD did give me a replacement box FOC although it was down to Hornady to replace really, who didn't even respond to my email!  I shoot a .22 LR also, but the ground I shoot often is prone to ricochets and lots of footpaths/roads etc so I'm selective where I use the LR.  The WMR is prone to ricochet also.   If they ever manage to sort the ammo (which I doubt) the HMR is a cracking little round for rabbits.  My HMR is conditioned for fox, but I personally don't think it's a suitable cal beyond close range, so only use it for rabbits, and small stuff.   

What is putting me off the cal now is the rising cost of the ammo and the poor quality of it, although last batches have been good so far!

• Like 2
14 hours ago, FLATTOP said:

I use Remington always have done and I recently purchased some for 12.99 a box of 50 and during the period where there was split cases and squib shots I have never encountered any problems so far. 

I bet that's old stock at that price.  I'm paying £14.50 for Winchester ATM and that's due to go up when they get new stock in.  Remington HMR is currently £21 a box of fifty at Norman Clarke. I had the same problems with Remingtons also, split cases/hangfires etc..