The only good meat on a rabbit is saddle and hind legs anyway. The HMR will leave these clean in most cases so I don't see the issue. Not to mention head shooting out to 100yrds is piss with it.

For me the HMR is all I need for small game, it's a brilliant little calibre imo. I could be tempted by a 22 magnum but I'd just be being indulgent really.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

TBH mate, anything past 150 with even the 17 is starting to push the limits. 200 is very doable but it's usually unnecessary, as you can almost always get into 150 or 100. The exception seems to be cr

These bunnies were were shot with my CZ .17 if you hit them in the head they don't resemble Road kill but a body shot I get where Meece is coming from I've owned mine for 8 years from new I love it th

If we're only talking small game of rabbit size then do you really think the increased bullet weight of the 22mag over the 17 has any significant effect. The fast and frangible 17 is devastating imo.

Posted Images

On 12/7/2017 at 22:07, Melpti said:

I am interested in views on.17 v .22 rim fire 

Both calibers have there uses for different situations,I personally prefer to have this option, but imo theirs nothing more satisfying to shoot than the .22 rim-fire,I would suggest to anyone starting out go for the .22 first. 

• Like 2
10 hours ago, Melpti said:

I think I am actually sold on the .17 HMR for its flatter trajectory and hitting power. I hope I am making the right decision. Any comments would be appreciated.

Flatter trajectory isn't everything mate.

Bullet weight is important too.

I shot fast centerfires for decades.

My last one was a break from the norm, a 357mag. On paper it looks rubbish but I did no worse for it, I got some good long range shots in just the same.

160 yard shots are quite easy with the WMR and there are videos of folk using it out to 200.

Nothing beats nature, gravity and wind will have its way with anything and misses will occur with anything but to sacrifice bullet weight to me is not the way forward.

U.

29 minutes ago, Underdog said:

Flatter trajectory isn't everything mate.

Bullet weight is important too.

I shot fast centerfires for decades.

My last one was a break from the norm, a 357mag. On paper it looks rubbish but I did no worse for it, I got some good long range shots in just the same.

160 yard shots are quite easy with the WMR and there are videos of folk using it out to 200.

Nothing beats nature, gravity and wind will have its way with anything and misses will occur with anything but to sacrifice bullet weight to me is not the way forward.

U.

If we're only talking small game of rabbit size then do you really think the increased bullet weight of the 22mag over the 17 has any significant effect. The fast and frangible 17 is devastating imo. The flat trajectory makes shooting rabbits a formality in my experience. Likewise though I wouldn't say the increased energy of the 17 over the 22lr is of any significance, so no reason to choose the 17 over an 22lr based on that.

If fox or feral cats (or even in instances hares) are on the menu then I think you start to see the benefits of bullet weight. But by no means do you become limited by it.

Edited by Born Hunter
  • Like 2

I think I am actually sold on the .17 HMR for its flatter trajectory and hitting power. I hope I am making the right decision. Any comments would be appreciated.

On my permissions I would not be shooting more the 150-200yards. I thought that the .17 was the best option but you have given me food for thought. I don't think my police firearms officer will thank me for changing my mind too often.

11 minutes ago, Melpti said:

On my permissions I would not be shooting more the 150-200yards. I thought that the .17 was the best option but you have given me food for thought. I don't think my police firearms officer will thank me for changing my mind too often.

TBH mate, anything past 150 with even the 17 is starting to push the limits. 200 is very doable but it's usually unnecessary, as you can almost always get into 150 or 100. The exception seems to be crows sat out in the middle of 100 acres of winter wheat, LOL. But for rabbits, >150 is usually just an excuse to say you have.

If you genuinely need a regular 200 yard rifle then you probably want to think about a small centre-fire.

• Like 4
57 minutes ago, Melpti said:

Don't worry about the police, you are well in your rights to change.

• Like 2

Melpti why don't you get a slot on your ticket for both that way if you don't like one you can opt for the other they are both good calibres for small game but it's what you prefer, as said before you need to try them both out I did just that myself years ago and opted for the .17 but definitely wouldn't rule out a 22 I'm just extremely patient with my shots and always strive for a head shot other wise body shot and it looks like a burst settee rubbish for eating.

• Like 1
13 hours ago, Melpti said: