Where to start?

23 hours ago, Born Hunter said:

IMO that's the best way. A newbie needs to be mentored and meet people that can point them in the right direction.

I started with an air rifle, beating and a couple of ferrets. Beating is the best way to get involved and is good fun in itself.

I just ended up with beatings... Ask @fellman :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Agree born. I started beating as a kid and not just my meat lol Funniky  enough it was a keeper who had chased me off his land on a few occasions. Then one day got talking to him and asked me wha

You could also do a bit of beating on a shoot.  Also if you got space get a couple ferrets and a handfull of nets.  Best of luck lad

I reckon that last line is probably the best bit of advice so far! lol   You'll find most of us started messing about with hunting at a pretty young age, jumping the fence with a ferret and

This isn’t meant to be pedantic or sarcastic 

but how do you know you will like a lifestyle of shooting / killing things? 

Its an anachronistic lifestyle , I’d say that the majority of people get into it from their kith and kin 

very few step into it dry 

Personally I wouldn’t buy a ferret / airgun / lurcher at all until I knew what I liked or fancied doing in a regular basis 

be a pain 

ask a million questions 

tag along with anyone who will have you 

get a mentor 

be a sponge, read about the quarry available 

• Like 1
1 minute ago, THE STIFFMEISTER said:

This isn’t meant to be pedantic or sarcastic 

but how do you know you will like a lifestyle of shooting / killing things? 

Its an anachronistic lifestyle , I’d say that the majority of people get into it from their kith and kin 

very few step into it dry 

Personally I wouldn’t buy a ferret / airgun / lurcher at all until I knew what I liked or fancied doing in a regular basis 

be a pain 

ask a million questions 

tag along with anyone who will have you 

get a mentor 

be a sponge, read about the quarry available 

If you're drawn to it you just know. No one walked me into this.

I agree though about comiting with ferrets dogs and shit. That's too much commitment for someone who's green to it. There's many different flavours of fieldsports...

I completely understand the comment about going in dry to hunting but I just know it is something that I will love doing, from a young age I’ve alwsys had an interest and wanted to try it and from a young age I’ve been into shooting and firearms, and no matter how hard I try I’m unable to get hunting off my mind even if I knew it would never happen I’d still be thinking about it and wanting to try it, but I agree getting ferrets etc at an early stage may be a big commitment so that might wait till a little later on 

4 hours ago, Joe_byrd said:

I completely understand the comment about going in dry to hunting but I just know it is something that I will love doing, from a young age I’ve alwsys had an interest and wanted to try it and from a young age I’ve been into shooting and firearms, and no matter how hard I try I’m unable to get hunting off my mind even if I knew it would never happen I’d still be thinking about it and wanting to try it, but I agree getting ferrets etc at an early stage may be a big commitment so that might wait till a little later on 

If you're ever out this way give these lads a ring... All the fun and none of the shouting and boot polishing. :D

22 minutes ago, scothunter said:

Probably giving advice and it will turn out to be one of the many sad trolls on here making fake accounts lol

Simply a case of "Poster Beware"

I know that's happened in the past but for all the shite posted on here, I don't see how it could do any harm to offer a few pointers. We all had to learn somewhere even if the new hobby was online trolling! :D

Nahh I can promise you all that I’m not a troll, don’t see the point in wasting peoples time for no reason, just genuinely want to get into hunting but not sure where to start it all, and as I’m so young (only being 19) I haven’t got the connections or knowledge someone Older than myself may have so it’s very interesting to learn about various things and gain knowledge I didn’t have before, like before joining I’d never even heard about using ferrets to hunt and now that is a piece of knowledge I have gained that I may be able to use in the forthcoming future 

50 minutes ago, Joe_byrd said:

Nahh I can promise you all that I’m not a troll, don’t see the point in wasting peoples time for no reason, just genuinely want to get into hunting but not sure where to start it all, and as I’m so young (only being 19) I haven’t got the connections or knowledge someone Older than myself may have so it’s very interesting to learn about various things and gain knowledge I didn’t have before, like before joining I’d never even heard about using ferrets to hunt and now that is a piece of knowledge I have gained that I may be able to use in the forthcoming future 

Joe my advise is if you have a local hunt turn up introduce yourself be sensible get accepted and I can guarantee the invites will flow from ratting ferreting shooting beating and in some but not all cases a bit of digging that way you have laid nothing out and you will then see what suits you best when it comes to hunting best of luck. 

16 hours ago, W. Katchum said:

Fcuk beatinxg, jumping about like a clown so other folk can have fun :laugh: an all this advice on don’t commit to a ferret ffs, it’s a ferret, I’m sure he will be able to rehome it or summat, it’s not end a world it’s like pets at home in here getting lectured on buying a pet haha 

have a good long think about what ye wanna try, try get out with folk but ye could wait yonks for that, my advice is just go do it, plenty of info on net an here to cover most aspects of hunting so plunge in ye might never get chance of ye keep waiting around

.......many areas of the UK are drastically short of rabbits. There is nothing more sickening than having working animals and no where to use them. 

I'm not a fan of shooting anymore.....but beating opens doors like no other rural activity. 

• Like 2