Gundog - keeping out with family dog

jwed

Hi lads, 

I got my first gun this year and started shooting. Opportunity has come up to take a working springer from a guy I know. This would be my first  working gun dog. We have a sheepdog who currently lives outside, sleeps in the garage. He's trained on a wireless boundary fence. If I took this springer would it be bad for him to keep him out with the sheepdog and unkennelled? Could I train him on a radio fence too?

I live in the countryside our house is on a large site so I like the dogs to have the run of the place. 

We also have a couple of free ranging hens which the sheepdog doesn't bother but I'm guessing the springer might.

So I guess ultimately my question is do I need a dog run for the springer?

Thanks.

The fence is fantastic. So much so that if I hit a ball out past it he stops dead on the "line". And he is obsessed with playing fetch. Also my entrance directly faces a gate into a field full of sheep ?

I highly recommend the wireless fences and can pm you details of the one we got if you want. We have him trained on beep, it beeps when he approaches the range. You can set it to shock too if needed.

jwed, It's better to kennel gun dogs when they are not being either trained or ran. Leaving them to their own devices has little chance of improving their performance and considerable chance of causing harm. The underground fence assuming it's turned up high enough should teach the dog the boundaries as long as you go through the training with the flags and all of that. Here the sheep dog may be able to help as it knows the boundaries already. This way if you decide to house the dog or let him out of the kennel to "clean out" before getting in the vehicle he won't run off and get into mischief.

Congratulations on both your gun and your new gun dog. Have a great time afield!

• Like 1
  • 8 months later...

Just thought I would bump this old thread. I know a long time has passed. Ultimately I did not take the springer that was offered but have since (in the last week) picked up a new springer pup. I work from home mostly so spend a lot of time with him to bond with him etc. He gets regular breaks outside with the sheepdog and sleeps with him in the garage at night. I have built a run for him for when he's a little older but for now just want to let him be a pup and mooch around the garden with the sheepdog. 

I have hens in a run and when I feed them and collect eggs pup comes with me and looks in at the birds. Just wondering if this could have any negative impact on him when it comes time to train him for the field?

Thanks

Edited by jwed

I have gundogs and hens, handy for steadying pups which can only be a good thing. I'm guessing you're worried your dog doesn't have the desired interest in wild game if constantly being told to leave birds alone. Won't be a problem, you'll be surprised how quickly and readily the differentiate between the two.

• Like 2
10 hours ago, mackay said:

I have gundogs and hens, handy for steadying pups which can only be a good thing. I'm guessing you're worried your dog doesn't have the desired interest in wild game if constantly being told to leave birds alone. Won't be a problem, you'll be surprised how quickly and readily the differentiate between the two.

Thanks Mackay, yes that's exactly what I was worried about. Good to hear you find it a good thing.

15 hours ago, jwed said:

Thanks Mackay, yes that's exactly what I was worried about. Good to hear you find it a good thing.

IMO some of the steadiest dogs are keepers dogs, or at least dogs that live on keepered estates. They're around birds so much they just settle into 'the job'.

• Like 1
On 1 December 2017 at 14:22, Mickey Finn said:

jwed, It's better to kennel gun dogs when they are not being either trained or ran. Leaving them to their own devices has little chance of improving their performance and considerable chance of causing harm. The underground fence assuming it's turned up high enough should teach the dog the boundaries as long as you go through the training with the flags and all of that. Here the sheep dog may be able to help as it knows the boundaries already. This way if you decide to house the dog or let him out of the kennel to "clean out" before getting in the vehicle he won't run off and get into mischief.

Congratulations on both your gun and your new gun dog. Have a great time afield!

Is this true even when they are very young pups? I have been leaving him "play" with the sheepdog out when he's not with me. He's only 10 weeks old and I am planning to to keep him in the run when I start to train him. Would that make sense?

On ‎15‎/‎08‎/‎2018 at 14:24, jwed said:

Is this true even when they are very young pups? I have been leaving him "play" with the sheepdog out when he's not with me. He's only 10 weeks old and I am planning to to keep him in the run when I start to train him. Would that make sense?

Perfect sense. Let him run riot while he's young and explore to his hearts content. Even when playtime is over and serious training begins. They need to blow off some steam.

I envy you by the way. :thumbs:

• Like 1