Toe Injury

I tried searching old posts for this topic and couldn't find anything, but maybe I just don't know how to use the search function. I apologize if this is a repeat question. 

My doberman has an injury that is apparently quite frequent in sight hounds so I was hoping y'all would have some experience. I've attached a picture of his rear paw and I've linked below a couple other pictures I found of similar injuries. My vet and good old google research seem to agree that it's some sort of tendon or ligament injury in the foot. My vet used a soft wrap to try and immobilize it in hopes the ligaments will grow back together. I've seen online some people do surgery to reconnect the ligaments or use rigid casts or pins to stabilize during healing. 

Do you have any experience with this? Is it something that will fully heal, something I should seek surgery for, etc.? Thanks in advance for your advice. 

Always love reading about your stories, keep it up! Hoping to see this site hit 1,000,000 posts. 

Image-1.jpg

1 hour ago, msula87 said:

I tried searching old posts for this topic and couldn't find anything, but maybe I just don't know how to use the search function. I apologize if this is a repeat question. 

My doberman has an injury that is apparently quite frequent in sight hounds so I was hoping y'all would have some experience. I've attached a picture of his rear paw and I've linked below a couple other pictures I found of similar injuries. My vet and good old google research seem to agree that it's some sort of tendon or ligament injury in the foot. My vet used a soft wrap to try and immobilize it in hopes the ligaments will grow back together. I've seen online some people do surgery to reconnect the ligaments or use rigid casts or pins to stabilize during healing. 

Do you have any experience with this? Is it something that will fully heal, something I should seek surgery for, etc.? Thanks in advance for your advice. 

Always love reading about your stories, keep it up! Hoping to see this site hit 1,000,000 posts. 

Image-1.jpg

well 1st thing i get done, is get it xrayed , just to see if it broke, or if inline ment  needs doing to the joint.  and being honest  mate if the dog getting about and not lame , leave it.  with running dogs they got to be 100%  fit to catch a rabbit, ok if just a pet , but most on here work there dogs to  some degree . My dog Buck  broke a bone in  his back foot, i just rested him for 8 weeks lead work, then 2 weeks bike work, then after tried him on few rabbits a night after he got 10 , so was ok , but i have noticed  with him when he slowing down from a  gallop  he will push out his left foot a little bit, it ok but he just does it, any injury they get will show up later, e hurt his shoulder when he was 12 months old, jumped of a fecken wall  and  ripped muscle  across his   shoulder, it not stopped running day or night, but if a hard night, he always   feels it in his shoulder for a week or so  , then he ok after  , bloody dogs    lol

Thanks for the reply and advice. The vet xrayed it and nothing's broken. Through palpation/manipulation she thinks its a tendon/ligament a little further up his foot/ankle joints and I agree. He is mostly a pet, but I like doing active things with him. We were just starting to get back into schutzhung/ipo here in Germany after a fews years off so I supposed that'll go to the back burner again until we work through your suggested rehab. Like you said, something always seems to be happening to these high drive dogs! 

If anyone else has anything to add feel free. Thanks again.    

-Michael

I've had several lurchers damage/rupture toe ligaments, though in the case of a completely flat toe on the hind foot it never caused a real problem, providing I kept the nail cut very short so it was less likely to catch on stones etc. Depending on the running style and weight of the dog most flat toes aren't a bother, though outside toes on the front foot that are weakened in this way can affect the dog's turning ability and are more likely to become further damaged. I have tried keeping a dog on the lead for months on end in the hope that the ligaments would knit back together or regain their elasticity, but the moment the dog ran again the toe would go flat. In the end I just managed the foot as best I could: which usually meant not running the dog on hard ground. If more than one toe is affected it is possible that propulsion and speed could be affected, but not to a degree where it would seriously affect the dog's performance. Just my experience with such things.