Doubling up?

I had a very good lamping Bitch  she was 22 inch  Beddy x Grey  very soft mouthed with rabbits  and very biddable her only fault was that she was a b*****d with Foxes , the dog used  kill any she caught , i don't know why and never encouraged it .

• Like 1

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I think theyll either do it or they wont why let them be carried by an older dog.

Grab the fox and bite it's neck to show it what to do. If the dog doesn't copy kick the shit out of it. If that doesn't work sell it and buy another one.   

No

1 hour ago, stormyboy said:

And thats why there are so many dogs sold-no effort=no reward. Slip and hope=can't be arsed to put some effort into training.

Can you tell me how you train a dog to kill foxes? Maybe when I'm starting my terriers I should double them up to. They should be started the way you expect them to carry on.

Do you take your young terrier out and just fire it into an earth ? Mine see dead ones, ragging and teasing to create plenty of antipathy toward fox. As said some won't do it, lurcher or terrier but preliminary work will increase the chance of a dog of at least trying. 

Slipping a young lurcher cold on a fox isn't something I would entertain but each to their own. And if you read my posts I didn't advocate doubling up a youngster.  

1 hour ago, stormyboy said:

Do you take your young terrier out and just fire it into an earth ? Mine see dead ones, ragging and teasing to create plenty of antipathy toward fox. As said some won't do it, lurcher or terrier but preliminary work will increase the chance of a dog of at least trying. 

Slipping a young lurcher cold on a fox isn't something I would entertain but each to their own. And if you read my posts I didn't advocate doubling up a youngster.  

If a young terrier is well bred and any good it won't need firing into an earth as you put it.It will enter out of instinct as that's what it's bred to do.Ive known plenty over the years start that way that have never seen a dead fox or been near an earth.Seen well bred lurchers kill the first fox they've ever been slipped on too.

• Like 2

Don't doubt it but iv also seen young lurchers turn off a fox that flew to the job after some encouraging.  Like I said each to their own. 

The oft quoted " well bred" bit comes through when they are put under the cosh  a bit once entered imo.

If i was a purist, i'd say never but i've seen good dogs brought on either way.

On here it's damned if you do, damned if you don't.

One thing i know for sure, whichever way i was gonna bring on a youngster, in this day an age, i wouldn't be asking the world about it.... ;)