Doubling up?

Depends on the breeding of the dog as to when you should run it - typically Wheaton/Bull crosses can be run a bit younger than a collie cross (dh pups takes a lot longer to mature). The longer you give a pup to mature the better IMO. 

I would double up for the first few runs as the young dog can learn a lot from running with an experienced dog (hitting the ditch after the quarry). 

I would bring a pup out a good number of times lamping before ever slipping them. 

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I think theyll either do it or they wont why let them be carried by an older dog.

Grab the fox and bite it's neck to show it what to do. If the dog doesn't copy kick the shit out of it. If that doesn't work sell it and buy another one.   

No

On 28/11/2017 at 14:25, Havelightforcewilltravel said:

More chance getting bit doubled up and once bit and another dog ragging can put young dog off you ll know when your dogs ready if you know your dog but a guideline is the 18 month mark has he seen a carcass? 

Got a dozen rabbits on the lamp

I would definitely give it more experience before entering to fox if it's only had a few rabbits. . And as havelightforce said, more chance of a bite if the other dog grabs the back end when doubled. Give it a winter on rabbit etc and enter on immature vulpine (grown cubs) at the end of summer would be my plan. . Plenty ragging on dead ones will get the fire up for them.

Edited by stormyboy
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
On 27/11/2017 at 18:55, Huntin said:

Is it necessary to double up on a red with a young pups first time?

The only thing you will get from a site like this is an ego attitude and single dog pish.If you walk alone the dog needs to discover its limits and hunt accordingly,if you hunt as most do and seldom encounter a fox then its tally ho and slip all and sundry and feck to ethics and ego,s.Id prefer a pup to meet and greet behind a more experienced mutt.

• Like 2
19 hours ago, morton said:

The only thing you will get from a site like this is an ego attitude and single dog pish.If you walk alone the dog needs to discover its limits and hunt accordingly,if you hunt as most do and seldom encounter a fox then its tally ho and slip all and sundry and feck to ethics and ego,s.Id prefer a pup to meet and greet behind a more experienced mutt.

Tally ho and slip all and sundry that's the spirit brother ?

• Like 1
19 hours ago, morton said:

Slip and hope-seems to be a common method among lurchermen...

• Like 2

I started a pup this season and she seen one get caught and just  walked off and come back to me! Since that day there’s been no turning back but trust me I was worried for a bit ! My older bitch let go her first one and barked at her second she’s 5 1/2 years old now and well she’s well into treble figures 

• Like 1