Black Lab Question

Most definitely, I had an old black lab 20 plus yr back, softest mouthed dog ever, hell of a nose on it, I used to get calls from keepers asking me to bring her for picking up, and we used to dog in the boundaries regular, hardly ever went beating after the first few seasons as all the keepers wanted her picking up the runners.

I think dogging in is a great way to prepare a dog for the beating line. It’s worked with my cocker anyway.  Getting it to work close to you in and out if hedges/ cover etc without other dogs and people to distract a young dog. As long as you get it good on the stop whistle and recall as the amount of people I see and hear when beating go “oh yer he/she’s great at picking up as well” then as soon as you get towards the end of a drive and that dog sees birds dropping they are off! And that person is left red faced! 

• 1 month later...
On 26/11/2017 at 15:19, RatSniper said:

Is it possible to train a Lab for dogging in and for the beating line as well?  Shes 11 months old and picks up. 

Just wondering if I can use her for beating as well. 

sure you can do,
for sure some dogs have more instinct, however if you train your dog properly and you have good connection with your dog, you can achieve everything.
I've seen lazy hunting dogs with lazy owners