Lab x pointer

• 4 weeks later...
22 minutes ago, MIK said:

They have plenty use on a grouse Moore...no my cup,of tea but they do have a purpose 

I was thinking more about improvement of breed, either pointer or Lab. Don’t really see how this could help. Wouldn’t know what Genes or traits would transfer to the pups, so could end up with a dog that neither points, nor retrieves. 

But, what would it do on a grouse moor that continental pointing breed, or even a setter couldn’t do? 

There are lots of dog breeds out there, and I think probably one for whatever one needs. 

• Like 1

Plenty of them about up here in the Angus glens and no plenty other grouse lads use them in the beating line ...some point some don’t but that’s not what your after in this cross as for retrieving both breeds are natural retrievers.

the ones I’ve seen are not as good as a pure lab or pointer at their jobs but are handy dogs but it like any dogs if you breeed with decent stock your chances of producing a decent animal increases.

like I say not my cup of tea as I work pure GWP and labs but they do have a purpose

• 7 months later...

A lot of keepers have them down here on the moor, like said above they have a bit more drive and stamina than your lab. The ones i have seen do whats asked of them and manage well in the beating line 6 days  a week.