EARLY MORNING SURPRISE

I saw this pair when i was out last weekend it was not fully light and there was a little mist about , it gave me a good old shock ,   i went back to/day to get some pictures  before i opened my mouth  [ take note big cat spotters ] and they were still there , the field i was in held a lot of bluelegs  those in the picture will be a 30/40 lb ring by Saturday and there are plenty more there .

DSCF3815.JPG

DSCF3812.JPG

• Like 5

Micky. Never, ever, seen blue legs growing on  open pasture. Only ever in or around oak or beech tree. Also, never seen them in a ring. Is this a new phenomenon or are they field bluets OR. Am I just being thick. Jok.. 

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, jok said:

Micky. Never, ever, seen blue legs growing on  open pasture. Only ever in or around oak or beech tree. Also, never seen them in a ring. Is this a new phenomenon or are they field bluets OR. Am I just being thick. Jok.. 

I thought they were maybe blewits as well jok

11 minutes ago, jok said:

there are Wood  Blewits  and  Field  Blewits .........Field Blewits are by far the most common Field Mushrooms  and Blewits  always grow in rings  , they have too , you may not see it or it might not be there but they grow in rings , it is because of the cap shape and spore drop  [so i am told.

I Know a lot of rings all over the county  and one near Melton where i have picked  well over a hundred weight several times.  and once at a place  called East Norton  i was out ferreting one morning in a massive open field where their was once a hedge running through it it was very frosty but you could see the outline of this old hedgerow , all along it for hundreds of yards were bluelegs  all frozen solid , i took a few home with the intention of coming back geared up for picking , when i got home those Bluelegs had thawed out and turned to snot , there must have been CWTs of them there  in 69 but i have not seen one there since.

• Like 1

Ok Micky. This is now open to discussion. The most common is the field mushroom which does not have a blue leg. Then there are the field.blewits and the wood blewits. This is only what I've learned by collecting whilst shooting and not by any great knowledge. As I understand it, the blewits grow in clumps whereas the the common field mushroom growin irregular rings which are by far the most common to see. Now the question is, did that ring have white or blue legs ? Also, it's slightly late in the year for the common mushroom, normally seen in September October. Jok.

25 minutes ago, jok said:

Ok Micky. This is now open to discussion. The most common is the field mushroom which does not have a blue leg. Then there are the field.blewits and the wood blewits. This is only what I've learned by collecting whilst shooting and not by any great knowledge. As I understand it, the blewits grow in clumps whereas the the common field mushroom growin irregular rings which are by far the most common to see. Now the question is, did that ring have white or blue legs ? Also, it's slightly late in the year for the common mushroom, normally seen in September October. Jok.

I am not sure i understand you jok but the Fungi  shown in the picture are BLEWITS  they will have BLUE LEGS  and they grow in RINGS they might look like  CLUMPS  but  they are RINGS  it is late for Mushrooms  but i saw some growing this morning but they cannot survive the Frost and i usually start picking what you call COMMON MUSHROOMS in July.  Another common Fungus  that i pick to sell is THE SAINT GEORGES DAY MUSHROOM  the appears towards the end of april and also grows in well defined RINGS

Picture029.jpg

I was back at this place at first light the farmer had told me that there were plenty of Rabbits in this hedge but i did not believe him , the holes were not being used , not shit  or scrapeings , but he was right and i was wrong and i must have seen 15/20 rabbits run in so i will have a little go next week easy to get at but it is a boundary hedge and that will be a problem, i walked back to the motor and passed a ring of blewits the sheep had flattened most of them put i took a picture of em and some mushrooms that are still growing

DSCF3821.JPG

DSCF3820.JPG

• Like 1
On 23/11/2017 at 18:35, jok said:

you been seeing wood blewits jok they got different coloured caps mate. woody are more blue and purple, field blewits tend to be brown or sometimes grey capped. taste good though either way. just cook em well if you aint ate em before :thumbs: