dave platts' saracen

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Had some great times with my Deerhound hybrids, back in the 1980s,...everybody had em...  

Here you are mick,sheps on the right I think,the one on the left is S.T's deerhound cross red?

Posted Images

theres a man over here in Ireland,hes gotten a pure deerhound dog from an enthusiast of the breed,and it has turned out a fine specimen and a very driven type with loads of prey drive im told,,,its taken all things bright and beautiful ALL CREATURES GREAT AND SMALL... in abundance,,hes even taken stuff that youd think miught be an impossible task for a dog  but we'll say no more about that...well last year someone (i cant remember who) asked if i could get a stud dog for their bitch that was also doing well in the field,and i approached the breeder of this dog,and i might add was a very good friend of mine ,, ,i also took the back door route and went through another good mate and asked him to give the stud and help recreate a litter of class and quality,and i added would have 2 like minded men meet up and help preserve the dying lines of the working deerhound,,both came back with a resounding refusal,,,

to  say i was disappointed and sickened was an understatement,,a man gets the gift of a 100% game deerhound and refuses to help others to recreate the working dogs of years gone by,to me is shameful and a tragedy...i let my views be known to one of my mates and he told me he gave the service of the dog out to a well know breeder and the man tried to pull a fast one on him,,but he didnt get away with it ,and hence forth he refuses to give the stud dog to anyone ever again,which to me is a bit silly but what can can i say its his dog...Ive kept 2 deerhounds over the years and even though i dont keep them id still like to see them make a comeback,,

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
On 27/11/2017 at 19:09, Marvel said:

Morton what happened to the rest of the litter you bred? why doesn't your lad put his big dog up for open stud and wait and see what comes up, you never know somebody might want a bitch lined that you think is worth feeding, then you can line breed back to a bitch that's from your sons big dogs litter at a later date.

I never leave a full litter on a bitch,the 2 bitches i kept are dead and only 1 more is about,the other 3 are dogs.Anything else i previously bred ive lost all contacts,stolen phone.Ive put the dog up for stud and ive yet to find the right type of bitch.My lad is sick of wasting his time and acquired a well bred Wheaten type,a bitch that will suit his purpose but one that i see the limitations of.Ill have another go and anybody with a genuine Deerhoundy Collie bred bitch that grafts above the norm then i know of a dog that may suit your needs,again no kennel kickers,chancers or feckwits need apply.

• Like 1
22 hours ago, morton said:

I never leave a full litter on a bitch,the 2 bitches i kept are dead and only 1 more is about,the other 3 are dogs.Anything else i previously bred ive lost all contacts,stolen phone.Ive put the dog up for stud and ive yet to find the right type of bitch.My lad is sick of wasting his time and acquired a well bred Wheaten type,a bitch that will suit his purpose but one that i see the limitations of.Ill have another go and anybody with a genuine Deerhoundy Collie bred bitch that grafts above the norm then i know of a dog that may suit your needs,again no kennel kickers,chancers or feckwits need apply.

If only everybody took the time to find the right animal to breed from there'd be a lot less shit about, so fair play to you Morton, hope you find the right bitch.

• Like 1

so in ALL your opinions ,if a very well bred litter of 1st x deerhounds were created next summer.from a top of the line coursing greyhound bitch to a very decent well proven dog,how many would be interested in them,and sold at a very fair price,,to cover the time and very best food and jabs and wormers given to them.....cause the 2 dogs i put up here are bred to the hilt,but no one was genuinely interested in them,,and I know their not pups but the bitch is 9 months old and ready for a working career next season,so plenty of time to settle in a new home,and the dog is after taking fox ,and both very laid back and relaxed....i think its an oppertunity missed for a good dog man....would pups be more favourable than the two mature  (er)...you find folk are mad keen on paper and on sites but when the time comes ,lots dissapear into the trees never to be heard from again....imagine rearing ,say a litter of 6 or 8 or 9 pups and the would be buyers pull out and your stuck with them...NIGHTMARE, lol...I ask for a reason too,so be interested to read your thoughts,,and whats a fair price for very well bred pups and not going over into the financial gain territory,it would be an opportunity to put some well bred animals on the ground for future goodd  of working deerhounds...

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, jigsaw said:

so in ALL your opinions ,if a very well bred litter of 1st x deerhounds were created next summer.from a top of the line coursing greyhound bitch to a very decent well proven dog,how many would be interested in them,and sold at a very fair price,,to cover the time and very best food and jabs and wormers given to them.....cause the 2 dogs i put up here are bred to the hilt,but no one was genuinely interested in them,,and I know their not pups but the bitch is 9 months old and ready for a working career next season,so plenty of time to settle in a new home,and the dog is after taking fox ,and both very laid back and relaxed....i think its an oppertunity missed for a good dog man....would pups be more favourable than the two mature  (er)...you find folk are mad keen on paper and on sites but when the time comes ,lots dissapear into the trees never to be heard from again....imagine rearing ,say a litter of 6 or 8 or 9 pups and the would be buyers pull out and your stuck with them...NIGHTMARE, lol...I ask for a reason too,so be interested to read your thoughts,,and whats a fair price for very well bred pups and not going over into the financial gain territory,it would be an opportunity to put some well bred animals on the ground for future goodd  of working deerhounds...

Ive never bred a litter of pups with the intention of gaining financial reward,the only reason ive ever bred a litter is to replace existing stock and put a jukel in a like minded kennel,dollar never,ever came into the equation,so to answer your question the best pups cost zilch and thats a fact lost on lurchers bred now.

• Like 1
On 29/11/2017 at 10:16, bobza said:

P1270748.thumb.JPG.6a59742c00c7749fc9a859dba9e7cb82.JPG

I see all the folk that like that mutt and understand the reason the Deerhoundy as lost its way now.The only thing that jukel epitomises is the destructive influence of the kennel club and its influence on breeding mutts not fit for purpose now.That is one weak jawed mongrel that as no place as a Deerhound and thats a fact lost on the true value of the Deerhound in the field.

• Haha 1
58 minutes ago, morton said:

Ive never bred a litter of pups with the intention of gaining financial reward,the only reason ive ever bred a litter is to replace existing stock and put a jukel in a like minded kennel,dollar never,ever came into the equation,so to answer your question the best pups cost zilch and thats a fact lost on lurchers bred now.

That's why I was thinking the price could be set by those that might want such a well bred litter,and as said to cover costs of rearing them,,and the breeder not keeping any back,but giving them to owners that would test them well,...its just a line of thought and a bit of a debate to see the views of others,,

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, jigsaw said:

That's why I was thinking the price could be set by those that might want such a well bred litter,and as said to cover costs of rearing them,,and the breeder not keeping any back,but giving them to owners that would test them well,...its just a line of thought and a bit of a debate to see the views of others,,

Id pay above the norm for a pup of choice if thats what was needed,alas my moneys safe now.

Jigsaw I have the fullbred bitch bred to the hilt and cant give her away no one is intrested in deerhound,s anymore.I have decided to part with her and shes has only seen a couple long ear,s but cant even give her away as everyone think,s shes been tried on other stuff but that,s not the case.

17 hours ago, morton said:

I see all the folk that like that mutt and understand the reason the Deerhoundy as lost its way now.The only thing that jukel epitomises is the destructive influence of the kennel club and its influence on breeding mutts not fit for purpose now.That is one weak jawed mongrel that as no place as a Deerhound and thats a fact lost on the true value of the Deerhound in the field.

she is usless but to be fair she would never suit kc lol standing 28 1/2 tts , what you mean has no place as a deerhound ,if she does what shes bred to do who gives a fu.k what they look like , she is a mong tho but a mong that has been ran and tested and will never be bred due to not making the grade, never seen her having any problems with her jaw ,

• Like 1

Perhaps part of the problem is the greyhounds that are being used. Modern coursing type greyhounds are big animals that are not overly successful hare catchers, so crossing a massive deerhound with a pretty big greyhound isn’t going to do much towards bringing down the size or increasing agility. I’m not saying big dogs can’t catch but rather those that can do so in spite of their size, especially when one considers it would be F1 hybrid so likely to throw larger than smaller in the 1st generation.

An animal of about 26” will not have to overcome its size; in fact the opposite is true and many of the dogs from history were more 26” than 30”. Everyone extolls those D/H hybrids from the 70’s and 80’s so look at the type of greyhounds they were using back then and you’ll find in many cases it was a track greyhound and they were smaller then than now, even the coursing dogs back then if used were smaller. Then consider an average modern track dog if moved back 30 years world be a top class animal likely better than the dogs used then so perhaps the answer would be to use a smaller staying track greyhound x D/H to breed a working type animal.

Alternatives would be a coursing type lurcher or Galgo crossed to a D/H to make a smaller, lighter type with agility and stamina but still quite typy. With the former the F2’s might be a little variable but not too much.

• Thanks 2
1 hour ago, sandymere said:

Perhaps part of the problem is the greyhounds that are being used. Modern coursing type greyhounds are big animals that are not overly successful hare catchers, so crossing a massive deerhound with a pretty big greyhound isn’t going to do much towards bringing down the size or increasing agility. I’m not saying big dogs can’t catch but rather those that can do so in spite of their size, especially when one considers it would be F1 hybrid so likely to throw larger than smaller in the 1st generation.

An animal of about 26” will not have to overcome its size; in fact the opposite is true and many of the dogs from history were more 26” than 30”. Everyone extolls those D/H hybrids from the 70’s and 80’s so look at the type of greyhounds they were using back then and you’ll find in many cases it was a track greyhound and they were smaller then than now, even the coursing dogs back then if used were smaller. Then consider an average modern track dog if moved back 30 years world be a top class animal likely better than the dogs used then so perhaps the answer would be to use a smaller staying track greyhound x D/H to breed a working type animal.

Alternatives would be a coursing type lurcher or Galgo crossed to a D/H to make a smaller, lighter type with agility and stamina but still quite typy. With the former the F2’s might be a little variable but not too much.

Agree with pretty much all you have said ....except ,if the deerhound now is as f****d as they say it is ,why bother using one to start with ,unless it's just the look or type they want.

If that is the case use a deerhound cross that's proven rather than start from square one. 

But most the time folk get a retired Greyhound ,look what's fetching the most ,then throw something over it . 

6 hours ago, hounddog3 said:

Jigsaw I have the fullbred bitch bred to the hilt and cant give her away no one is intrested in deerhound,s anymore.I have decided to part with her and shes has only seen a couple long ear,s but cant even give her away as everyone think,s shes been tried on other stuff but that,s not the case.

It  seems  the idea of breeding a litter of extremely well bred 1st x's is a lost cause,so that ideas put on the scrap heap for the moment,..pity...how did the bitch run on the few BIG RABBITS   she had HD3?