Indian runner ducks

On 12/7/2017 at 14:48, pie-eater said:

Some good tips in this thread thanks. I've got some runner duck eggs, i know its late in the season and fertility apparently will be somewhere between low and non existent but I thought I'd take a chance. Got 8 in the incubator and another 6 coming. If I get a pair out of them I'll be very happy, if not I'll have another go in the spring. 

Good luck mate.

• Like 1

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Got 3 Indian Runners in my yard, 2x female 1x male, had them for 9 years now, no bugs or mice in the yard, no grass either now as they love anything green. They do make a mess with poop if contai

Nah, rain is never the problem if they have water, if there is a low spot gathering water that is where they will be, if drainage is good they will look for the low spot and go paddling. Get a pa

Pie-eater, you will have the raise the pool, else you will just create a bog around it. If you raise it on blocks, you can plumb in a system that is movable, so just re-direct as the ground gets

Posted Images

• 1 month later...
On 08/02/2018 at 10:11, 17hornet said:

So whats happening with the ducks mate ?

All going well ?

No mate epic fail unfortunately, I followed the instructions with the incubator for waterfowl to the letter but I'm thinking humidity problems. I'll try again in the spring probably.

9 hours ago, pie-eater said:

No mate epic fail unfortunately, I followed the instructions with the incubator for waterfowl to the letter but I'm thinking humidity problems. I'll try again in the spring probably.

Shame mate, what incubator are you using

11 hours ago, pie-eater said:

Dont be too distressed, as I think you said, it was late in the season for hatching, the eggs were possibly not fertile.

I have never had success with my incubator, but a mate that is really into birds seems to never do any wrong (or never tells), if you gave him a plastic sparrow egg he would hatch a Macaw from it !  :toast:

Even the kindy hatches chook eggs with the same incubator I use.  :hmm:

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/02/2018 at 22:20, ferret333 said:

Shame mate, what incubator are you using

I've got a pair of brinsea mini eco incubators, with the quail I get around 95% hatch rate so I think they're pretty good.

On 11/02/2018 at 23:42, 17hornet said:

Dont be too distressed, as I think you said, it was late in the season for hatching, the eggs were possibly not fertile.

I have never had success with my incubator, but a mate that is really into birds seems to never do any wrong (or never tells), if you gave him a plastic sparrow egg he would hatch a Macaw from it !  :toast:

Even the kindy hatches chook eggs with the same incubator I use.  :hmm:

Had at least a couple developing but they seemed to die in the shell in the late stages. It is a shame as I was really looking forward to having a couple of ducks. I'll try again in a couple of months.

• Like 1