I've been looking into getting some shooting sticks, but what to go for? One shooter I know uses quad sticks to good effect and I've even been offered an old set of wooden quads that another guy no longer uses. They seem pretty stable, but putting them up is like putting up a clothes dryer.

Someone else (a professional shooter) has suggested 2 garden canes and a bit of rubber, but then he's cheap.

I can't make my mind up between bipod, tripod or quad.

Any suggestions?

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You might be better off with two Bamboo canes and a piece of rubber you tight arsed git 

Ahhh, I see now. We have the potential for a 'Repeat Offender' here then, do we Moxy??

I can see you getting on well with her, she loves being showered with compliments................creep 

Posted Images

I have the gen 2 which is superb but the gen 3 has a lock system to set the legs at any angle which is something I would like. If you are walking with them over your shoulder with the legs out stretched, as I do at times, it would be very handy to be able to drop them and take the shot quickly without any movement of the leg angle, the height and leveling ability is not affected whatsoever. This has a further advantage in that you can shoot from a very low position with the legs set very wide and shallow and with the lock it would certainly prevent any slip which can happen when using the unit in this way. 

As far as I know, that is the only difference.

Phil

• Like 1

"Now then, now then ..." Walshie. ;)

As the guys say, Primos Trigger sticks mate and don't look back. If the Gen2 are significantly cheaper then get them as I have these and to be honest I can't see what can be improved on to justify a Gen3. Shrewd marketing I suppose?

I also purchased the additional rest that screws into the top of the sticks. A bit of a fuss if you want to do a quick deploy, but when you are in a position waiting for the quarry to come along they can prove to be very useful.

Happy hunting.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, walshie said:

The only difference I can see is the top bit is quick detachable on the gen 3 and £40 more expensive.

Keep the £40 in your pocket mate. :thumbs:

If I want to change the top it takes seconds to unscrew and screw the rest back on.

I had the primo sticks till they were left lying in the grass and the mower ate them, great sticks, but a bit pricey, and you need to look after them or the legs stop working.

i have a twin set of sticks, with an elastic band at the top type idea, no idea what make, but they just seem bullet proof.

bottom line, twin sticks do the job quicker and easier, albeit not quite the stable platform, triple or quad offer,  so it depends if your on the move carrying sticks and need to stop and take a shot pdq,  or if you have a bit more time to set up and take a shot the primo can't be beat.