Clothes

• Replies 404
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Bought some gear off Wilf cause image is everything

Got my nephew's daughter these.Nike airs and Tim's ?    

Strange question but if I must, it has allowed me to live mortgage free, for the last seven years and work two or three days a week instead of seven as I used to, I own everything that's mine and have

Posted Images

On 26/12/2018 at 15:45, Born Hunter said:

Afraid I haven’t a personal photographer so I can model it for you. Lol

453DE665-6459-4707-9F6A-D448A52548F3.jpeg

CE22A369-D8CF-458E-8F55-BC351378E921.jpeg

how do you find the kuiu jacket?

i browsed their kit and its a layering system which works out damn expensive for me and i need the layers

to keep warm.

my  friend gets the kit at a significant discount and we are looking at bulk ordering

need some advice before i jump

• Like 1
9 hours ago, Ted Newgent said:

how do you find the kuiu jacket?

i browsed their kit and its a layering system which works out damn expensive for me and i need the layers

to keep warm.

my  friend gets the kit at a significant discount and we are looking at bulk ordering

need some advice before i jump

First I'd like to make it clear that I haven't really tested it so my opinion is a bit speculative. I bought it as a semi casual outdoors jacket that I could wear out and about as well as in the field without looking too much like a 'hunting hero' in public.

It's well made and high quality. I'd buy more of their stuff personally. That said, Kuiu is primarily a mountain hunting brand, imo it sacrifices durability for lightweight. Very lightweight! I'm not sure how long it would last if I started smashing through thorns like i do in my Harkila hard shell. Also this Guide Jacket is not fully waterproof (softshell), just DWR coated which is a technology I don't tend to have much faith in personally (I find DWR goes to shit once you put the garment through some shit but maybe that's because I don't look after stuff and reapply TX direct etc?). That said it has shed water from light showers brilliantly so far (but it's only had light use).

When sizing follow their size guide! The fit is not traditional fat b*****d country fit, it's more athletic. Freedom of movement is maintained by a well tailored fit (gusseted arms etc) rather than typical baggy fit. Also I know they have you committed to their 'layering system' but frankly you don't need their merino base layers or their Peleton midlayers etc. I can see the value in having their Guide jacket, one of their puffer jackets and say the Yukon hard shell. But base, mid layers, accessories I'd buy cheaper stuff personally.

I'd like to see one of their Yukon hardshells in the flesh, see how durable/robust it is. It's quality stuff but really designed for the backcountry/mountain hunter. There's maybe more appropriate stuff out there for the less adventurous hunter (realistically most of us). Sitka?

• Thanks 1
3 hours ago, Born Hunter said:

First I'd like to make it clear that I haven't really tested it so my opinion is a bit speculative. I bought it as a semi casual outdoors jacket that I could wear out and about as well as in the field without looking too much like a 'hunting hero' in public.

It's well made and high quality. I'd buy more of their stuff personally. That said, Kuiu is primarily a mountain hunting brand, imo it sacrifices durability for lightweight. Very lightweight! I'm not sure how long it would last if I started smashing through thorns like i do in my Harkila hard shell. Also this Guide Jacket is not fully waterproof (softshell), just DWR coated which is a technology I don't tend to have much faith in personally (I find DWR goes to shit once you put the garment through some shit but maybe that's because I don't look after stuff and reapply TX direct etc?). That said it has shed water from light showers brilliantly so far (but it's only had light use).

When sizing follow their size guide! The fit is not traditional fat b*****d country fit, it's more athletic. Freedom of movement is maintained by a well tailored fit (gusseted arms etc) rather than typical baggy fit. Also I know they have you committed to their 'layering system' but frankly you don't need their merino base layers or their Peleton midlayers etc. I can see the value in having their Guide jacket, one of their puffer jackets and say the Yukon hard shell. But base, mid layers, accessories I'd buy cheaper stuff personally.

I'd like to see one of their Yukon hardshells in the flesh, see how durable/robust it is. It's quality stuff but really designed for the backcountry/mountain hunter. There's maybe more appropriate stuff out there for the less adventurous hunter (realistically most of us). Sitka?

i think you hit the nail on the head.

the whole range is lightweight and all about layering up.

i was personally looking at getting the yukon,only because its water/windproof and then i discovered it aint lined.$600 for a anorak??then i would need

the puffa jacket for insulation,cause its fckn freeing over here,then the pants which again aint lined.

i can get this stuff 1/2 price but i still dont think its even worth it.

i am thinking the sitka fanatic jacket and bibs,cause they are both lined /insulated.

i personally dont think sitka or huiu will last thru a thorny hedgerow

8 minutes ago, Ted Newgent said:

i think you hit the nail on the head.

the whole range is lightweight and all about layering up.

i was personally looking at getting the yukon,only because its water/windproof and then i discovered it aint lined.$600 for a anorak??then i would need

the puffa jacket for insulation,cause its fckn freeing over here,then the pants which again aint lined.

i can get this stuff 1/2 price but i still dont think its even worth it.

i am thinking the sitka fanatic jacket and bibs,cause they are both lined /insulated.

i personally dont think sitka or huiu will last thru a thorny hedgerow

I like the layering strategy personally. It works for me. But I haven't bought into a single brand, I've got different bits from all sorts, lol.

If you can get the stuff half price you could probably make a few quid privately shipping stuff to individuals in the UK. :whistling:

I'm due to be in Houston in June and intend to buy a few more Kuiu bits and get them delivered to the hotel. Save me a few quid on tax and shipping that way.

• Like 1
45 minutes ago, Born Hunter said:

I like the layering strategy personally. It works for me. But I haven't bought into a single brand, I've got different bits from all sorts, lol.

If you can get the stuff half price you could probably make a few quid privately shipping stuff to individuals in the UK. :whistling:

I'm due to be in Houston in June and intend to buy a few more Kuiu bits and get them delivered to the hotel. Save me a few quid on tax and shipping that way.

i wish i could help some of you out,but i am afraid not.

my issues is hunting in sept/oct is still relatively warm and wearing the cold weather gear is too much.

i am more in need of cold weather gear for late nov/dec/jan/feb

i aint in a position to be buying more outfits than my missus

just priced up the yukon jacket/pants and insulated duck down jacket $1500 CAD

?

Edited by Ted Newgent
  • Like 1
24 minutes ago, Ted Newgent said:

my issues is hunting in sept/oct is still relatively warm and wearing the cold weather gear is too much.

?

Look at Reed and vass or even nash

5 hours ago, Ted Newgent said:

?

£900 and odd quid?How much can you get it for with discount?Can you not just get used from one of the FB pages mate?

50% of is a decent chunk of change mate,invest a few grand and sell it on "still with tags" on FB sites,i used to know a guy in the berghaus factory,i used to spend thousands buying stuff off him.

• Like 1
43 minutes ago, mackem said:

50% of is a decent chunk of change mate,invest a few grand and sell it on "still with tags" on FB sites,i used to know a guy in the berghaus factory,i used to spend thousands buying stuff off him.

no can do fella

my friends reputation will be at stake and its against his buying clause to re sell.

all these big name companies do lots for outfitting services when they buy equipment.

one sitka FB page had an outfitter re selling and sitka caught him,that ended promptly

i am still looking at paying full price for sitka,i dont know but i seem to visually prefer their gear

Edited by Ted Newgent
  • Like 1
59 minutes ago, secretagentmole said:

Got a nice Portmann wax jacket from Paramount Clothing for Christmas, came with a tin of wax for one reseal too, storm cuffs, hood, nice weight and damned warm £35!

as much as love wax jackets but that would be like wearing a suit of 3/4inch plywood over here in winter

7 hours ago, Ted Newgent said:

as much as love wax jackets but that would be like wearing a suit of 3/4inch plywood over here in winter

Ah that is why I love over here, despite the lack of abundant gold deposits, rivers full of salmon, forests full of deer, unspoiled seas in which to fish....

That and the fact a £35  jacket is more than good enough to go hunting in...

Edited by secretagentmole