When I was a young a catapult was made by finding and cutting a forked branch of a size that suited the individual. I remember my brother heating a meat skewer to red hot in a fire and slowly burning a hole for the elastic to be anchored through. The elastic was bought from the local cycle shop. There were two sizes available 3/16 & 1/4. Square section. All I see today is round tube. Is the square section still available? If it is who/where it is available. My brother and brother in law were really good and could regularly shoot out a swan vestas match held between two others like goal posts held in the drawer of the Matchbox. When they did hit the centre match it created enough friction to ignite maybe all of the three matches one of which flew through the air. I couldn't even hit the Matchbox. Later I found that I was the other hand master eye.

3/16 or 1/4 that was the question I got mine from a model shop . 1/4 seemed a bit to heavy . My cycle shop sold pellets and fireworks never thought to ask about rubber . I think square rubber can be found on ebay but I would think if you knew of square rubber in a local shop  your maybe not to good with ebay . tube works fine instead of square .I spent my early years in perth W.A we used something we called jelly rubber round solid .I think it streched better than the square rubber and was jelly like .I think tubes may work better than the old square rubber .rolyan orange or green tube I will  GUESS is like orange =3/16 green =1/4 . rolyan make stronger and weaker tube but you will make some thing out of orange or green ok .

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...